Snorkeling options for mainland Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title says, where should I go for snorkeling, and possibly spearfishing, in Italy?

Here's the long version. I'm looking at booking a trip that is focused around swimming and snorkeling for probably 6 of us. We are coming from the northeast United States but I've found that most of the time I can go to Europe for cheaper than Hawaii, California, or even the Virgin Islands. Once food, lodging and airfare are factored in. I'll be in Cannobio for two weeks this October so any suggestions around Genoa would be good as I could take a day or two and go check them out. Even if the weather is a bit cold, I could at least see what the area is like and get some ideas on what would suit our style. Realistically, we would be up for any location but I think mainland Italy would be preferred just for the ease of getting there. I know this is rather vague but I'm not really sure on where to start looking.

Thanks for any and all ideas
JLM
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Well I always google anything I see interesting on the forum, and I came across this:
Spearfishing in Tuscany
I recall reading an article about some underwater interest near Talamone, not far from the places mentioned in the first site.
ETA: FOund it! https://www.invacanzaallargentario.i...h-of-talamone/

I thin Sardinia would be ideal, but not sure about October--you could fly from Milan.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jlm43
As the title says, where should I go for snorkeling, and possibly spearfishing, in Italy?

Here's the long version. I'm looking at booking a trip that is focused around swimming and snorkeling for probably 6 of us. We are coming from the northeast United States but I've found that most of the time I can go to Europe for cheaper than Hawaii, California, or even the Virgin Islands. Once food, lodging and airfare are factored in. I'll be in Cannobio for two weeks this October so any suggestions around Genoa would be good as I could take a day or two and go check them out. Even if the weather is a bit cold, I could at least see what the area is like and get some ideas on what would suit our style. Realistically, we would be up for any location but I think mainland Italy would be preferred just for the ease of getting there. I know this is rather vague but I'm not really sure on where to start looking.

Thanks for any and all ideas
JLM
Drive up to Slovenia and you can do all sorts of water activities like canyoning Bled and in Bohinj lake or kayaking and rafting on the Soca river...It's just a few hours away...
https://www.altitude-activities.com/...canyoning-bled
Or you can alway visit the coast and try snorkling there

Last edited by TravelSloan; Aug 7th, 2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yorkshire
Well I always google anything I see interesting on the forum, and I came across this:
Spearfishing in Tuscany
I recall reading an article about some underwater interest near Talamone, not far from the places mentioned in the first site.
ETA: FOund it! https://www.invacanzaallargentario.i...h-of-talamone/

I thin Sardinia would be ideal, but not sure about October--you could fly from Milan.
Something like this is what I'm looking for! The fish house looks really cool. Within a couple of hours from Florence or Rome so flight options should be plentiful. Thanks for the tip!!