Bringing THC gummies to the UK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2023, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say a person could buy THC gummies in his home state, legally, to help sleep. No intention to get crazy or graduate to the hard stuff. Could a few of those be put into a baggie, brought on a visit to the UK without fear of drug stiffing dogs and windowless cell?

What if he had a prescription for medical marijuana? How would he prove that?
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 07:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If the question is could you legally possess cannabis in the uk, why, when it's illegal there, would the answer be yes? If the question is might you get away with it, who could know?

Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:01 AM

The Tower of London has a lovely view of the Thames.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Presumably, you'd fly to the UK, but... "Marijuana and certain cannabis infused products, including some Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, remain illegal under federal law except for products that contain no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis or that are approved by FDA."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ical-marijuana

If you believe this website, THC gummies are not legal in the UK but CBD gummies are legal and available.

https://www.highandpolite.co.uk/cbdn...egal-in-the-uk
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:09 AM
P_M

I don't think it's worth the risk, just buy it when you get there. And don't bring any back to the US. Even if it's allowed in your state, it's still a violation of Federal law.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all. If only that person could be sure of getting a river view.

I guess my question was, yes, how likely would he get away with that heinous crime. How energetically are such benign offenses pursued.

And if say a cancer patient uses for nausea, then what?
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by stokebailey
Say a person could buy THC gummies in his home state, legally, to help sleep. No intention to get crazy or graduate to the hard stuff. Could a few of those be put into a baggie, brought on a visit to the UK without fear of drug stiffing dogs and windowless cell?

What if he had a prescription for medical marijuana? How would he prove that?
Don't even think about it. If you want something with a similar effect, buy legal HHC gummies once you get there.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 08:40 AM

Thank you, all. If only that person could be sure of getting a river view.

I guess my question was, yes, how likely would he get away with that heinous crime. How energetically are such benign offenses pursued.

And if say a cancer patient uses for nausea, then what?
you get refused access in any case, no matter your reason
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

What an interesting world it is out there.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 01:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What an interesting world it is out there.
https://www.essex.police.uk/police-f...nabis-edibles/ might give you an idea of how it is treated in the UK

How to bring the stuff into the country is detailed here https://www.gov.uk/take-medicine-in-or-out-uk
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
https://www.essex.police.uk/police-f...nabis-edibles/ might give you an idea of how it is treated in the UK

How to bring the stuff into the country is detailed here https://www.gov.uk/take-medicine-in-or-out-uk
Thank you, Bilbo. You are a peach.

I've just finished 20 years working in toxicology, so have a pretty good idea how dangerous a 5 mg THC gummy would be: not at all. Definitely concerning for children, so it's good that the Essex police are looking out for them.

Cannabis is scheduled 2 in the UK, so would not require a license to bring it in. Medical cannabis would require the documentation in your link, and interestingly, so would a person's blood pressure, asthma, diabetes, acne medicine.

So those foreigners who bring home prescriptions to the UK without proper documentation have also broken the law. Rarely getting caught, I hope.

Last edited by stokebailey; Aug 6th, 2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 09:46 AM

It seems to listed as schedule 1 on this government list: List of most commonly encountered drugs currently controlled under the misuse of drugs legislation - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 09:49 AM

With footnote:

On 1 November 2018, Cannabis-based products for medicinal use in humans (CBPMs) were introduced under Schedule 2 to the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001. Only products meeting the definition of a CBPM in regulation 2(1) of the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001 were rescheduled. Products not meeting this definition (other than cannabis-based medicines that have received marketing authorisation and have been separately scheduled) have remained in Schedule 1 which means they cannot be accessed except under a Home Office licence.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, noncom. Good to know.

I suppose I'll advise the person in question not to chance it after all.
​​​​​​
Speaking of getting a doctor's letter with all that information on it, I'm thinking about my husband's very well compensated cardiologist who won't respond to reasonable questions about prescribed meds. It's likely that documentation to remain within the letter of the UK law would be equally futile.l

Last edited by stokebailey; Aug 6th, 2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 01:07 PM

I know a lot of people who self-medicate with various forms of THC/CBD, and they are stoned about every day. So it doesn't matter what reason is given. Nobody really gets crazy on marijuana, at least no intentionally, that's the issue. Sometimes it can have a real negative effect which you can't predict. The people I know who are doing it constantly say it is for anxiety, which if you are kind of high, it's true you aren't as anxious, I guess, unless you get some strain that makes you worse. I have no opinion if marijuana is better or worse for your health than anxiety meds. Legitimate studies on this show that chronic use of THC for insomnia is not good and can be counter productive. It's supposed to just be used occasionally. Because chronic use of THC can lead to addiction and you need higher and higher doses. By addiction, I mean if you take it away, you can get withdrawal symptoms. A lot of studies on this with large samples haven't been that common yet.

I'd be concerned about someone who claimed they could never sleep without THC. And CBD has reverse effects on insomnia as THC, meaning you have to take much higher doses to get effects, or positive effects anyway, a low dose can make sleep worse.

The people I know who take it a lot can buy it legally in their state for recreational use, they don't need some medical prescription.

here is one interesting article on the subject

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...marijuana-cbd/

Old Aug 6th, 2023, 05:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I would not.

As an aside, this very interesting documentary just aired on CNN -
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/06/healt...pta/index.html
Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Cannabis is having a senior moment
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Christina and Starrs.

I haven't known anyone who's "stoned all the time" since marijuana was very illegal around here, since a promising young friend of my brother's was sent to penitentiary for being caught with less than an ounce. Since it's been legal recreationally in my city, I rarely even catch a whiff of it on the streets.

Your experience, Christina, is radically different from mine. I'm more in Dr. Gupta's camp here, and can't be grateful to a government that wants to protect a middle-aged person from himself.

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you, Christina and Starrs.

I haven't known anyone who's "stoned all the time" since marijuana was very illegal around here, since a promising young friend of my brother's was sent to penitentiary for being caught with less than an ounce. Since it's been legal recreationally in my city, I rarely even catch a whiff of it on the streets.

Your experience, Christina, is radically different from mine. I'm more in Dr. Gupta's camp here, and can't be grateful to a government that wants to protect a middle-aged person from himself.

I'm guessing that being a peach is a good thing....
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

A peach is one step up from being a good egg.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
There is so much that is incorrect in post #15 I don't even know where to start.
So I won't.
Totally inaccurate information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -