Reload this Page >

Beach vacation in mainland Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Ann

Airfare from NYc to either Sicily or Sardinia is quite pricey in June, but to the mainland the prices are better. For a 9-10 day vacation, (I would like to spend half on fantastic beaches) where would you go?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Carolyn

An Italian friend has a house in Talamone, in Grosetto and another friend goes to "Baia delle Zagare" in the town of Mattinata on the Gargano. I was told Elba is also good.<BR><BR>I was also told to avoid the beaches south of Rome on the mainland due to polution although I have been to the San Pietro in Positano and love it. Though not much of a real beach it is a spectacular place as well as being spectacularly expensive.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:07 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Even though I would never suggest that a trip to Italy be based on a beach location, the best I have found are at Sperlonga/Gaeta 2 hours south of FCO. If the beach is your thing, do the Greek Isles, Sardinia, or Florida. Italy has so much more to offer.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Ann

I think people enjoy different things while on vacation. Some people (such as myself) may WANT to base their Italy trip on a beach location. I said that I wanted to spend about half the vacation(4-5 days) on nice beaches. I am in no way suggesting that Italy has nothing else to offer. As I mentioned Sardinia'a airfare is too pricey. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:18 AM
StCirq

My observation was that the beaches JUST south of Rome were overcrowded and possibly polluted, but from about Anzio south, they are quite lovely, especially around Sperlonga and Gaeta - and there is much to see and do insland as well.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Sarah

Ann sounds like an interesting idea. I was thinking about something similar. Ever see "only you" they show positano and it is gorgeous. I have heard about the Ciquatera (Sp) but I think you overlook the sea not sure what the distance is to swimming.<BR><BR>I hear you mentioning Sicily, would'nt that be a chore to travel through as a woman. Just curious, I am thinking about a trip with my sister's family in the next two years but I would worry about harrassment in Sicily. Would not want that to be my sister's intro to Italy. Am I wrong?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Ann

I actually would be traveling with my boyfriend, our 1st time abroad together. But, from what I hear, it doesn't matter if your with a guy- you might still get comments! I was in Venice last month & had no problems, then again is anyone there really Italian? It seems to be all tourists. Obviously I am kidding, but in a place like Sicily I am sure a woman could expect to have her share of admirers. I really wouldn't let it deter me from going to Sicily though.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Alice Twain

Talamone, subggested by Carolyin) could also be the base for a couple of nice daytrips by bus. Than you will be easily able to move to Pisa-Lucca-Florence for the rest of your trip.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Sarah

Ann I have heard in Sicily the harrassments goes beyond comments and it does not matter if you are with a man. I find the Northern cities are tolerable, usually young boys and old men but never anything threatening. In Sicily I have heard it is threatening. Could all be here say but that is what I have heard from women that have traveled alone in the middle east and all over Europe.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Sarah

I was referring to Northern cities of Italy

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:50 AM
beth

I was in Sicily and I was not hassled at all -- in fact, I was hassled more in Florence. I found the Sicilians to be the warmest most friendly people I have ever met. I do have dark hair and dark skin though, and could pass for Italian. <BR><BR>Sicily is great. When I flew there, we when into Milian and then bough at ticket for $150 to Catina (in Sicily) on Alitila. It was much cheaper this way. We went in Auguest.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:32 PM

topping

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Sarah

Thanks for the info Beth friend who told me was a blond with fair Latin boy friend.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:22 PM
peter

anzio has a nice large beach and the town is of decent size alos. on the west caost look up viareggio thaey have some good inexpensive pay beaches

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:51 PM
hope

We also spent a few beautiful days in Sperlonga in May 2001. It was too cool to swim but the sun was wonderful, and the beach was not crowded. We were forced to take half or full board, but it turned out to be a terrific deal....Sperlonga also has an Old Town on the hill, Ruins, etc etc. though it's a Roman Holiday town. Gaeta is much more built up, also there's a US military base there so it's crowded.<BR><BR>Or try Paestum, south of the Amalfi Coast. When you go to that area try the buffalo mozzarella fresh, I can still taste it. First class Ruins too.<BR> <BR>But you should know that if you go to some Italian beach resorts you you will find the beach chairs lined up in rows. Kind of a turnoff.<BR><BR>We flew via Meridiana from FLorence<BR>to Palermo and it was about $150.00 @ Eastertime.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Alice Twain

Peter:<BR><BR>Viareggio has HORRIBLE beaches. The beach in Viareggio is long but narrow and there is a very busy pedestrian street right beyond it and a rather busy car street nearby. Moreover, the beach os too crowded and the town is far too big and depressing, with a taste of completely faded glory (Viareggio was very much in fashion in the Sixties, but it has long since lost all glamour). There are incredibly better beaches in the southern part of Tuscany. You can find decent beaches in the area of Rosignano Marittimo, Cecina, Bibbona, Castagneto Carducci and San Vincenzo: long beaches framed by a very long pine wood that goes all the way to Rome (or near it). Furher south, Follonica has some famous beaches like Cala Violina (although the city is not good-looking), but as you move further south you find the real gems of Tuscanian seaside: Scarlino, Castiglione della Pescaia, Alberese, Orbetello, Monte Argentario and Capalbio all have wonderful quiet beaches, usually free, often framed by the pine wood.