Reload this Page >

Snickers or Milky Way...

Search

Snickers or Milky Way...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 01:44 PM
BTilke

Snickers or Milky Way...

Interesting experience to learn about the U.S./British strikes against Afghanistan while waiting in the Zurich airport for a flight to Brussels. After a lovely week-end in Franconia (the countryside about Nuremberg, Germany)and a near empty flight from Brussels to Nuremberg (11 passengers ona 50-seat plane), the trip back was interesting. Nuremberg checked me all the way through to Brussels, but neglected to tell me that the flight from Zurich to Brussels, which was listed as Sabena, was actually Swissair. But I didn't learn that bit until arriving in Zurich. The transfer desk at Zurich was very helpful; the Swissair people WERE able to get me on a Sabena flight leaving at about the same time. Such a shame about Swissair/Sabena--I've had very good experiences with them over the last two years and Zurich airport is one of the nicest (major renovations just finished). A large tv by the gate was on and tuned to CNN as news of the attack came on. As a result of "exceptionally circumstances", Sabena canceled its regular food service and offered us a choice of Milky Way or Snickers bar for dinner. Back in Brussels, the highway tunnels through the city were closed, as were streets around most likely terrorist targets, including the U.S. Embassy. All that said, I don't really feel any more nervous living in Europe than I would back home in the States. Fingers crossed for safe journeys for all Fodorites.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 01:46 PM
BTilke

Forgot to add, they ARE stamping passports again--mine was stamped in Nuremberg (for the return) and in Brussels. And the police in Nuremberg asked me why it wasn't stamped when I first arrived in the city (beats me).

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Candybar

Snickers, are you kidding????

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Ess

BTilke, which did you choose? I would have gone for the snickers. Safe travels!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Paige

We just flew Air Portugal from Madeira - Lisbon - Munich yesterday, before the attack. There was extra security although they served our meals with real stainless silverware. That was a little unnerving, as were the people who we were so sure were acting really strange. A lot of people look a lot more suspicious than they used to! They didn't stamp our passports but did check them 3 times before we boarded.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:07 AM
s.fowler

I would have held out for a "Three Musketeers" myself....

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Sjoerd

BTilke: your passport (I assume you are not a EEA (European Economic Area = all EU countries + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) citizen) was stamped on the way back because you were travelling from Nuremberg to a non-Schengen country. (Switzerland) And again in Brussels because you were arriving from a non-Schengen country. When you arrived in Nuremberg from Brussels you were travelling within Schengen and they never stamp passports.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:40 AM
BTilke

Actually, Sjoerd, they WERE stamping passports for people who'd taken flights directly from Nuremberg to Brussels (the flight my colleagues took). <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Cindy

Snickers Rules! I would have requested Almond M&Ms for dessert, with an insulin chaser.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 10:10 AM
bobB

Snickers....MW peeps are unclean.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:45 AM
yum yum

Did anybody try the dark chocolate Milky Way? <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Book Chick

Cindy, <BR>ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>BC

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:51 AM
D.J.

Snickers