Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For those who want to push the limits regarding security--why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Marc David Miller

This is an honest question--why, given the ambiguity of airline/airport regulations, would you want to carry articles onto the plane (or attempt to carry such articles) when attempting to do so could delay not only your fellow passengers, but also yourself?

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 04:37 PM
realistic

Maybe just because the regulations are so ambiguous.. if there was a definite set of guidelines , I think all would follow, But call your airline you will get 6 different responses from 6 different airlines. <BR>Some of the things border on being ridiculous. No curbside checkin-- that has already fallen by the wayside.. you can check in at the counter and leave just as well as if you checked at curb. Sewing needles.. they are so small, try poking one into someones eye, any little resistance and it will be gone,and getting a grip on one you would need super glue on your fingers, drop one on the floor and try to pick it up , you won't be able to do it in a minute!Maybe if you stomp on a disposable razor to break the plastic you could get the blade out but then what! <BR> <BR>Block and lock the pilots door, arm flight atendents with pepper or some such spray, armed marshalls are fine. Scissors, knives of any kind and sharp instument , such as a knitting needle fine but stop being paranoid. <BR> <BR>They could ban shoelaces, underwire bras, hair ribbons, teeth braces.. Let's be a little realistic.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Gretchen

I could not agree more. Folks who report that their suitcase was not looked at--I ask, do you know it isn't being x-rayed--no. People who brag that they got through with plastic knives in their socks. Ridiculous.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Art

Mark, I'll go further. I think that all airlines should restrict carry ons to ONE item ie purse, briefcase, camera bag. Everything else should be checked. <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:13 AM
dan woodlief

Art, I agree with you. We are restricting ourselves. I am taking a camera bag, my wife is taking a carry-on, and the other carry-on piece is getting checked.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Gretchen

I have heard that Air France does restrict to one carry-on---and if you have a purse, that is it.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 12:45 PM
michele

Is this a new policy with Air France? I flew AF two years ago and people were carrying steamer trunks on the plane.It fits in the overhead). <BR> <BR>I like the one, and I mean "one", carry-on idea. <BR> <BR>M.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Christina

I've flown Air France a lot, most recently last July and often they do restrict you to one carryon (depends on how full plane is, I think, in last few years summer flights are usually very full) but your purse definitely does not count as that one carryon but I always have a purse and always have been allowed another carryon (a small tote bag).

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:05 PM
JJJJ

just got done with an air france flight, Munich to Nice. I don't carry a purse, but they were allowing purses and a carry on bag. Don't get so paranoid just don't be stupid, everyone at the security counters were very nice as long as you are nice. I even had a guy in Munich who took my camera out of the bag, took my picture to make sure it was real. When he was done he set my bag on the floor for me, and pulled up the handle and thanked me--very nice.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Gretchen

I was quoting a friend who flew Air France since 9/11--purse counted as a carryon.