SNCF discount offer

Old May 30th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

SNCF discount offer

For those traveling by train in France and apparently Germany and Switzerland, this offer by the SNCF could be of interest:

Limited time: discount cards at a unique price
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:43 AM

Yes great 29 e - 25% off but without wading thru the site would thisn apply only to full-fare tickets or would say a discounted 'Prem' fare also be discounted 25%? If not card may be useless for many. discount only available on French trains going into Luxembourg, Switzerland and Germany.

Thanks for posting.
Old May 30th, 2018, 12:02 PM

Except possibly for the Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Germany bit, these aren't new AFAIK. We've had Carte Voyageur and Senior Discount cards for 2+ years now, with the same discounts. I'm not understanding what is "new" or "Limited time" about these.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:11 PM

The price is supposed to be discounted for the cartes. Try reading the oui.sncf site referenced - it says special deals on those cards thru June 15 or such - you are saying they are always 29 euros?

More importantly does the 25% discount apply only to full fares or discounted ones too? If not card may not be such a great deal.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
Except possibly for the Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Germany bit, these aren't new AFAIK. We've had Carte Voyageur and Senior Discount cards for 2+ years now, with the same discounts. I'm not understanding what is "new" or "Limited time" about these.
The message was meant for non-residents who might not know about the discount.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:54 PM

I read the oui.sncf site. I didn't see anything special or new. I already have cards that give me 25% off and more, plus a card that gives me points toward future travel. I am just wondering what is so special about this offer. My discount card gets me 25% or more off ANY fare.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
The price is supposed to be discounted for the cartes. Try reading the oui.sncf site referenced - it says special deals on those cards thru June 15 or such - you are saying they are always 29 euros?

More importantly does the 25% discount apply only to full fares or discounted ones too? If not card may not be such a great deal.
Not everyone has the presence to order tickets ahead of time. I did not look at the particulars because I plan only one train ride and have already ordered the tickets.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:56 PM

OK, I get it...for non-residents. Cool.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:58 PM

The point I wonder about is that I don't think you are allowed to buy these unless you are a resident. The terms don't say so, that I could see, but I notice that if you try to buy one it insists you can only list an address in France, as it pre-fills out your country as France. I wasn't sure I'd use it that much anyway, so didn't try to force it, but wouldn't want to explain that if some clerk insists they are only for French residents and your SNCF ID card has a fake address on it (eg, Boston, France).
Old May 30th, 2018, 02:07 PM

You're right, Christina, so I don't see why this is a "deal.`" These discounts have always been available to residents in France.
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:24 PM

False advertising -shame on SNCF!
Old May 30th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
The point I wonder about is that I don't think you are allowed to buy these unless you are a resident. The terms don't say so, that I could see, but I notice that if you try to buy one it insists you can only list an address in France, as it pre-fills out your country as France. I wasn't sure I'd use it that much anyway, so didn't try to force it, but wouldn't want to explain that if some clerk insists they are only for French residents and your SNCF ID card has a fake address on it (eg, Boston, France).
Interesting, because I received the notice at a U.S. e-mail address only because I ordered tickets on line from the States and paid with a U.S. credit card. Maybe their program can't distinguish between a Hexagon and an overseas order. I did not give a fake French address.

But if it is only for French resident why is the ad in English?

Are they perhaps offering this to visitors because the extended strike has scared off foreign visitors from train travel?

Last edited by Michael; May 30th, 2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 30th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Thank you very much for this link, Michael. Last year this offer had an expiry date of 31 May, and I just missed out on it, so had to buy my Carte Senior on arrival in France, at a cost of 60€. I had no difficulty this time entering an Australian address for my renewal at the discount price, and confirmation has already reached my inbox.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:22 AM

That's interesting Michael, but did you actually try to buy one? Because if you do, the information boxes you have to fill out prefill the country with France and you cannot change it. I don't think SNCF knows where your email address is physically, nor cares, they sent that out to everyone with an online account probably. I think they just send ads out to everyone, it wasn't targeted only to certain people. I think I got that ad, also, which is why I looked.

I just checked it, the email ad I got was not in English, it was in French. Maybe you have your SNCF account set up that you want things in English?

Well, I'm not really sure, I just know I couldn't put in my US address but it isn't a big loss to me, anyway, with only a few tickets a year, so I didn't pursue it. It could be they don't even intend it to only be for French residents but have their website set up badly, that wouldn't surprise me.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
That's interesting Michael, but did you actually try to buy one? Because if you do, the information boxes you have to fill out prefill the country with France and you cannot change it. I don't think SNCF knows where your email address is physically, nor cares, they sent that out to everyone with an online account probably. I think they just send ads out to everyone, it wasn't targeted only to certain people. I think I got that ad, also, which is why I looked.

I just checked it, the email ad I got was not in English, it was in French. Maybe you have your SNCF account set up that you want things in English?

Well, I'm not really sure, I just know I couldn't put in my US address but it isn't a big loss to me, anyway, with only a few tickets a year, so I didn't pursue it. It could be they don't even intend it to only be for French residents but have their website set up badly, that wouldn't surprise me.
Did you read Clare's posting that precedes yours?
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:06 PM

I'm wondering if this would be a good deal for us but none of the categories seem right. We are not over 60, not under 27, and the only other option is only for weekend travel. Or am I reading it wrong? We are in our 50's and are planning four weeks train travel in France in Sept/Oct. Is there an option for us that covers 7 days a week travel?

Kay
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 03:44 AM

<<Is there an option for us that covers 7 days a week travel?>>

Not to my knowledge. I don't think there's ever been such a thing. But you can always get discounts on some rides by booking early and/or asking SNCF for alerts on prices on certain routes.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 07:13 AM

Frankly, I was thrilled by this offer, since I have been paying 60 euros for my senior discount card for the last several years. I was much happier to renew it for only 29 euros this year. One of the best advantages of this card is not just the discounts but also the fact that senior tickets have far fewer restrictions for exchanges or refunds.