Amalfi Coast Itinerary Please Comment

Old May 29th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast Itinerary Please Comment

Working on the draft itinerary for next May. Our interests include Historical sites and churches, good food, scenery, people watching and not moving at a break neck speed as we are both in our 60's but good physical shape. Please comment and fill in any blanks or suggestions. We have been to Rome before that's why only two days there Thanks in advance. Also welcome any mid-price hotel suggestions
  • Saturday Toronto Flight
  • Sunday Naples Jet lag recovery & Sight See
  • Monday Naples Sight See Museum & Royal Palace of Naples
  • Tuesday Naples Royal Palace of Caserta
  • Wednesday Naples to Pompei to Sorrento via private drive
  • Thursday Sorrento Sight See
  • Friday Sorrento Sight See
  • Saturday Sorrento to Capri via ferry Sight See
  • Sunday Capri Sight See
  • Monday Capri Sight See
  • Tuesday Capri to PositanoSight See
  • Wednesday Positano Sight See Positano
  • Thursday Positano Day trip Amalfi
  • Friday Positano Day trip Suggestions??
  • Saturday Positano Chill Day
  • Sunday Positano to Naples to Rome or Salerno to Rome train Travel
  • Monday Rome Sight See
  • Tuesday Rome Sight See
  • Wednesday Rome to Toronto
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Hi, cck43. I think this looks lovely. Others with more experience can weigh in but I think you can take a day from Capri and add it to Positano so you can explore the towns along the Amalfi Coast more. DH and I enjoyed the town of Amalfi a lot.

Have a great time!
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:06 AM

I think 3 nights on Capri is excellent... we were there last September for 3 nights and want to go back for a longer visit. Too many give it short shrift, imo. I like that you're also spending a good amount of time in Naples.
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:16 AM

I would suggest dropping a night from Capri and spending an additional night either in Positano, or to break it up, further along the AC, say Ravello. Presume you'll have a rental car. Otherwise itinerary looks good.
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:18 AM

What kinds of activities/sights did you do/see on Capri, Trophywife007, please? I know OP will appreciate the input (as will I!).
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

We won't have a rental car. We'll use ferries, trains buses to sight see and move city to city. Except right now we plan to get a private driver to take us from Naples to Sorrento with a stop in Pompei
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:05 PM

I would keep as much time as possible on Capri and along the Amalfi Coast. I don't think you need three full days sightseeing in Naples. It's a more industrial town than Rome, Florence, etc and not as pretty. I would take a day from there and add to the Amalfi Coast. You also don't need two full days sightseeing in Sorrento but if you like to shop and just be at leisure then that's okay.

I would suggest hiring a private driver to drive you along the Amalfi Coast one day. It's a spectacular drive and a good driver will know lots of great places to stop for pictures, mini-excursions, and of course great local restaurants.

Capri is spectacular and worth spending a few days if you want to hike to some of the sights, and have time to explore Annacapri and the other towns. If you want to go to the blue grotto, that adds another half day as it can take 2-3 hours with the lines.

We absolutely loved Positano. It's beautiful - you will really enjoy your time there and all along the coast. Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:10 PM

I would suggest taking a daytrip down to Paestum to see the Greek Temples and museum. An amazing site.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:52 PM

Town of Capri -- not just shopping but there are lovely walk ways and gardens
cruise around the island including green grotto and blue grotto
Anacapri
various churches you find as you explore
chair lift to Mount Solaris
Villa San Michele
find beautiful spots and have an Aperol spritz/Limencello/gelato `
Villa Jovis + other ruins associated with Emperor Tiberuis. I found this website that had some info:
The Villas of Tiberius - Capri
Maybe just sit and enjoy the view someplace or go swimming... It's always busy during the day but at night when daytrippers leave it's magical.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:58 PM

• Friday Positano Day trip Suggestions??>
Take ferry to Salerno and train or bus to nearby Paestum and its remarkable archaeological site?

I found Ischia as pleasant or more than Capri which grabs interests of many more tourists. On Capri be sure to walk or ride out to the remains of Hadrian's once lavish clifftop villa - where he famously would have enemies and folks he grew tired of tossed over the edge, allegedly.
Old May 29th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Sorrento and have stayed there a couple of times, and I can assure you that you don't need two days to see the town's sights.

I'm unclear on your travel day Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento. Do you have a driver for the entire day, and will you stop to explore Pompeii on the way? Your interest level may be lower than mine, but we spent an entire day at Pompeii on our first visit and returned on a subsequent visit to see what we missed the first time. Otherwise, the drive from Naples directly to Sorrento should take less than 90 minutes. If you are into archeological sites, you might consider having the driver take you to Scavi di Stabia instead of Pompeii, and then visit Pompeii on one of your days in Sorrento. It's an easy 30-minute commuter train ride between Sorrento and Pompeii but less easy to reach the Scavi di Stabia without a car. Stabia is also much less crowded.

https://www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=84

If churches and history are on your radar, don't miss the Duomo in Amalfi which contains the tomb of the Apostle St. Andrew. Sculpture within the church include works by Bernini and by a pupil of Michelangelo, Naccherino.
Old May 29th, 2018, 02:48 PM

Except right now we plan to get a private driver to take us from Naples to Sorrento with a stop in Pompei>

Why as trains are so convenient for both and dirt cheap - take you right to Pompeii's ruins entrance. I've stayed in Sorrento several days and very little to see in the town itself - not even sea views from much of town which is high above the sea with views often masked by buildings. Pleasant watering hole and great utilitarian base but would not make special trip there to see it.

Rather consider ascending Mt Vesuvius or also visiting Heraculaneum - also near a train stop.
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:15 PM

It is wonderful that you are allowing so much time in the Naples/AC area. Many people just don't have the time to really enjoy it, and while sightseeing is great, the AC is more, IMHO, a place to relax and soak in the atmosphere and the views. Ferries are great!

Personally, on arrival, I would not stay in Naples.
Three other options.

1. Take ferry straight from Naples to Capri and start trip there, it is a great place to relax and get over jet lag.

2. Push straight on to Sorrento and rest up, get over jet lag there that afternoon and evening. In that case, a driver would be expensive, but nice.

3. Head straight to Salerno, evening rest, see Paestum the next day and work your way back up the AC to Amalfi and Positano. Then do Capri. I like Sorrento, but in that case, you might not even stay in Sorrento.

3. Take ferry straight from Naples to Capri and start trip there.

Stay a night or two in Naples on your way to Rome.

You do not need sightseeing time in Sorrento. If you are staying there, an evening or morning would be plenty.

If you do decide to stay the first night or so in Naples, just take the train from Naples to Sorrento - absolutely no need for a driver when you are not doing it right after a long flight. Stash luggage in the storage at Pompeii if you do it that way.

You are missing three major sights:
Ravello
Paestum
Herculaneum (see from Naples or Sorrento)
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:47 PM

If into walking or hiking there was a wonderful footpath I took from Amalfi town up to Ravello, going first thru orchards and garden plots then sliding into Ravello after a series of steps. Coming down I walked from Ravello zigzagging thru the terraced vineyards with workers tending the vines on a paved lane. Great frontal views of coast the whole way.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:55 PM

I see you plan to go to Royal Palace of Caserta on a Tuesday. We made that same mistake last fall. It is closed on Tuesdays. And, the town of Caserta itself is a horrible replacement. We went to the spectacular monastery at Monte Cassino instead. I second the suggestion on Ischia; we stayed there for several days in 2016, and, although buses (which circumnavigate the island) were crowded in the fall, there were many interesting places. May should be a perfect time there.
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:13 PM

We just got back from Italy and I have to post a trip report soon. We loved visiting the archeological museum in Naples. If you love history then a visit to Herculaneum and Pompeii are highly recommended.

On Capri be sure to visit the Augustus Gardens with a beautiful view of the Farglioni rocks. If you like gardens, Villa Cimbrone in Ravello is wonderful.
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone Now my head is exploding LOL, but please keep the suggestions coming
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:23 PM

We did everything mentioned here on Capri, and our three nights flew by. I would go back in a minute.
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tuscanlifeedit
We did everything mentioned here on Capri, and our three nights flew by. I would go back in a minute.
Yes, in a New York minute and I'd love to visit Ischia too, as Pal mentioned.
Old May 30th, 2018, 06:37 PM

As I mentioned above, I agree with those saying to spend little or no time in Naples. Unless there is some church or museum there that you are dead-set on seeing, it is not worth spending your precious time there. And while you could take a train from Naples to Sorrento we had a private driver pick us up in Naples, take us to Pompeii for the day, and then to Sorrento to spend the night. He also drove us along the Amalfi Coast the next day. Our driver was great - he was a local who knew the area inside and out. Gave us lots of interesting information, took us to the best spots for photos, great local restaurants we wouldn't have found, and just a lot of local color. It was definitely worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -