Smart phone in Spain

Mar 7th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Smart phone in Spain

Is anyone familiar with how well Verizon works in Spain with their international plan. We will be visiting Madrid, Barcelona, and the Andalusia region.
Mar 9th, 2019, 04:02 AM

We have AT&T and it works fine all over Europe. Our daughter, traveling with us, has used Verizon and always seemed to have excellent reception and data transmission.
Mar 9th, 2019, 07:15 AM

>>Is anyone familiar with how well Verizon works in Spain with their international plan<<

Are you asking about coverage or how the billing works? Billing works the same as it does elsewhere. You are billed $10 each day you use it based on a 24 hour period. Not charged when you don't use voice/data.
Mar 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
You are billed $10 each day you use it based on a 24 hour period. Not charged when you don't use voice/data.
Eeekk! Is there a cheaper alternative? I'm on Three and if I travel to the US my data usage is charged at the same rate as in the UK and comes out of my allowance, therefore I have 12Gb allowance per month and when in the US (or elsewhere). Is there not a similar option in the US?

$10 a day is extortionate. I'd be inclined to buy a sim card for the country you're visiting on arrival, assuming your phone is unlocked.

Mar 9th, 2019, 09:47 AM

>> Is there a cheaper alternative?<<

Yes, lots . . . But if one wants to use Verizon plan, then that's it. Unless they want to pay for a monthly plan - but that only makes sense for very frequent overseas travelers.

Buying an unlocked phone and local sim card would be cheaper, but the Verizon plan is simple and some travelers only need their Voice/Data a few times. They can still use the phones off-line.
Mar 10th, 2019, 09:54 AM

If you use wi-fi it's always good. We used Verizon all over southern France and it was fine. Just $10 to upgrade to International for a one month subscription
Mar 13th, 2019, 10:20 PM

Using a Smartphone in Europe

Verizon works as long as you set it up property. We always have clients who have problems, whch is why we have been using T-Moble for several years now. No set up required, no additional cost for unlimited data services (include streaming), and phone calls are free when in a Wi-Fi zone, and that includes all local calls. Calls outside of a Wi-Fi zone are only $0.20/minute, far cheaper then what we used to pay for Vodafone and MoviStar service. Messages are also free. Most of the service we have been getting in the major metropolitian areas (Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Málaga, etc,) have be 4G LTE, which is fairly common throughout Spain, France and Portugal, but a few plances still have only 3G service. We also use WhatApp for messaging as most restaurants use it, as well as some hotels.

Buying a sim card when traveling has become passe for Americans who use T-Mobile.
Mar 14th, 2019, 06:59 AM

It's $10 per MONTH on Verizon, NOT per day.
Mar 14th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Verizon International charges

The plans from Verizon are well beyond $10/month.
From Verizon: We offer 2 types of plans for traveling outside the US:
  • TravelPass: When you want to use your mobile phone as you do at home. With TravelPass, you can use your domestic talk, text and data for a flat daily rate. You'll only pay for the days that you use your phone.
  • Monthly International Plan: Add a monthly bundle of talk, text and data to use internationally. For an occasional trip, you can sign up for 1 month and that automatically expires. Or you can set the plan to remain on your line until you remove it, for longer trips or frequent travel.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...l-travel-faqs/
Mar 14th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by AKBarry View Post
It's $10 per MONTH on Verizon, NOT per day.

There is no $10 per month plan.
Mar 15th, 2019, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Robert, on that plan; if you make a local spain call (+34) on a phone with a U.S. area code but with the Verizon plan, how are you charged?
Mar 15th, 2019, 11:08 AM

Calling within Spain (+34)

Since we don't use Verizon, I have no experience on how they actually charge for local calls within Spain. T-Mobile is the only one that gives you unlimited free calls, local or international, when in a WiFi zone, or $0.20/minute when outside of a WiFi zone. Verizon just can't compare.

According to the Verizon website, the coat of calling depends on which plan you select.
$70 International Travel Plan Talk: Get 100 minutes to use while traveling ($0.70/minute). Additional minutes are charged $0.35/min.
$130 International Travel Plan Talk: Get 250 minutes to use while traveling ($0.52/minute). Additional minutes are charged $0.35/min.
Mar 15th, 2019, 04:25 PM

I use Verizon all over Europe including this month in Spain. As Robert noted, there are two ways to approach it. I chose the $10 a day which comes with unlimited data and phone, etc.
When someone phones you, or you phone someone (in the US) it is like you are both actually IN the US. No international codes needed. I was away only about two weeks, so I took that plan. If you will be away for longer, it might pay to get the monthly plan but the data is more limited on that...you need to call Verizon and talk to them; do not try to go to a Verizon store cause they cannot help you.

There is no set up involved..it just begins working as soon as you arrive in Spain.
Mar 15th, 2019, 05:04 PM

>>do not try to go to a Verizon store cause they cannot help you.<<

May depend on where you are -- I've always been able to make my arrangements in-store.