Phones in Spain

Jun 21st, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Phones in Spain

I will be studying abroad in Spain for the month of July, and I was wondering what the best method of using phones would be while I'm there.

I heard that you can rent or purchase cell phones in Spain. Can someone give me the details of this process as well as prices?

Or would it be easier to purchase an international calling card and use this instead of a cell phone?

Thanks!
Jun 21st, 2007, 06:51 AM

In general, the cheapest way is to take cell phone that is unlocked for international use, and buy a SIM card when you get there. However, I have to say that my Blackberry, which works everywhere else in the world, wasn't getting a signal when we were in Barcelona last year. I also didn't see anyone on the phone there, like you do everywhere else.
According to this site- http://spainforvisitors.com/sections/cellularphones.htm it's easy to get the SIM cards in Spain.
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM

If you purchase a cell phone, or sim card, in Spain, then all incoming calls, from anywhere in the world, are free.

You can purchase the sim card in advance (http://www.onspanishtime.com/web/index.htm) so that you will have you cell phone number before you leave home, or buy one when you arrive in Spain, but only at one of the cell phone stores (MoviStar or Vodafone are the two largest carriers), not at the airport.

You can rent a cell phone, but if you are going to be there a month, Id suggest purchasing a new one in Spain (MoviStar or Vodafone), our buying an unlocked world phone on eBay, but you have to be careful with what you buy.
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM

The easiest thing to do is to buy a prepaid cell phone in Spain. Last one we bought was through Vodafone and it was 59 euros which included 10 euros call time. It is very easy to add money to the phone as kiosksand other stores advertising mobile service are everywhere. Incoming calls are free but outgoing can be pricey. Make sure to inquire about types of plans.
If you are bringing a laptop, make sure you have SKYPE downloaded as you can use it to keep in touch with the US. It is free!!
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
ComfyShoes

Just call you handy carrier in States. I used mine without any glitch all over Spain.... in the canyons, on the mountains, in the cities, outside of'em,... you get the idea. Of course, every time someone calls you don't want to hear from, you will be paying a dollar a minute to get rid of them. That may help you in being more honest in your feelings towards them

Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! It seems like the best thing to do would be to buy a phone in Spain (I'm leaving too soon to buy anything online here)...

I'll be staying in Madrid. Does anyone know locations to purchase phones here? Also, how much to phones/sim cards usually cost?

Thanks again!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:27 AM

The best thing to do is to look at the website for the Spanish phone company, vodafone.es. You will se a small British flag in the lower left corner. When you click on this you will be able to continue in English. You will find all kinds of information. I know that ComfyShoes was able to use her US phone everywhere but that is an expensive option. Most US carriers that provide international service charge at least $1.00 a minute.
As I said in a previous post, the cost may be about 59 euros. I do not know the exact price of just the SIM card but it would be useless if you do not have aphone that will work in Spain. Once you get the phone you can also buy international calling cards for 5 euros that will allow you to make very inexpensive international calls. For this you have to buy one of Vodafone's "Vitamin" plans. Perhaps this is explained on their website. I suggest Vodafone because it is a large company known throughout Europe and they have a lot of shops.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM

you will find numerous stores ( corte inglés included, of course) but what you want is called a "pack". just get the cheapest one. it will include phone, sim card and a certain number of call minutes.
usually about $50 on up.

good thing is all incoming calls are free while you are in spain.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
ComfyShoes

Raydotman, "Comfy was able to use HER phone"?! I am a man last time I checked

You are correct in the rest of your response.

Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM

ComfyShoes, I am so sorry and I really do apologize, especially after reading some of your truly excellent trip reports. I should know better because my husband and I both use the same email name and I am a woman!!
However, we are alike in that we both enjoy Spain.
Sorry again.
Helen
Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
ComfyShoes

NO reason to be sorry I really like women My mom is one. So is my wife

Thank you for your compliment on my trip reports (getting a lot of these lately).