small town near Paris

Search

small town near Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small town near Paris

I am looking for a small town with a villagy atmosphere not too far away from Paris. Time is limited and after a few days in Paris we want to spend one night in a rural area with old world atmosphere. We will be travelling by train, and probably only want to travel about an hour.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Not sure what you mean by "old world atmosphere"- do you mean cutesy-quaint like Mont St. Michel, or a place where people really live? Most of the small towns might only have a hotel near the train station. Chemille is one that I know of. But I think you'd be happier in some place like Angers where there are good hotels across from the train station, and a few steps take you back into a lovely part of the city with outdoor cafes, shops and a medieval castle.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM

I think you may be expecting some village that time forgot, but it isn't going to happen, there won't be a village that time forgot -- especially withine one hour of Paris, which is commuting distance. Places with train stations aren't that rural, comparatively, either. I'd suggest Auvers-sur-Oise where Van Gogh lived as it is a very pleasant village and is on a local suburban rail line. It is modern, though, and has some tourist attractiosn due to Van Gogh. Even the small villages I have been in about one hour from Paris that do not have train stations aren't old world atmosphere and are not really that interesting as there isn't much there.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM

I'm not sure exactly what your expectations of "old world atmosphere" are, but Brigadoon is not alive and well an hour from Paris. The nearest thing to that I can think of is Senlis, but you're not going to find folks strolling around in 18th-century garb, or ox carts on the streets. It's just a charming little town.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Giverny and Auvers sur Oise seem like small enough towns, yet close to Paris...with things to see.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the replies and the advice. I'll do some research on all your suggestions. In particular, I'm pleased to hear that Senlis is recommended, as I thought it sounded attractive, but wasn't sure. I'm having trouble finding information on how to get there though.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM

giverny especially fits the OP's bill - not a village that time forgot but where time seems to have stood still since the 1800s when Monet and other Impressionists made it a tranquil rural base. And though tourists flock to Monet's garden the rest of the rather small village is very tranquil - and it's about an hour by train (to Vernon) and then 3-miles by mini-bus or taxi from the Vernon train station.

Auvers-sur-Oise, where Van Gogh, Cezanne and other Impressionists hung out in the late 1800s, fits the bill too, though not quite in a time warp as Giverny IMO - and about an hour or so by rail from Paris.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM

To get to Senlis, take the train from the Gare du Nord train station to Chantilly Gouvieux, then take a bus to Senlis. (There are no direct trains to Senlis). You could visit Chantilly as well, of course.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Don't let some of the replies discourage you. Some of my favorites, all accessible by public transportation-

Senlis

Provins- there is a wonderful walk along the walls and ramparts

Montfort-l'Amaury

Crecy-la-Chapelle

Moret-sur-Loing

St Germain-en-Laye

Purchase and take with you the great guidebook, "An Hour from Paris" written by Annabel Simms. Information, walking maps, transportation instructions and narrative on 20 destinations within an hour (or so) of Paris.

A discription of the book from the back cover-

This is a guide to the old-fashioned pleasures accessible within an hour of Paris by train, if you know where to look:

- discovering half-hidden chateaux and writer's country houses

- walking, boating or dancing by the river

- exploring old towns and country footpaths

-eating in family-run restaurants with 1950's decor and prices to match

I think you will find this guidebook very rewarding. I know that I have. I've visited almost all 20 destinations and feel that this book is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Senlis refused to have a train line built to it, because it did not want riffraff coming from Paris (true!).
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:03 AM

So that's why the SNCF has only bus service to Senlis!

Fontainebleau would also be a nice option IMO
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I am amazed at all the helpful replies. Thankyou.
I am finding it very difficult to find information on the net regarding buses. For example, I can find no timetables for Chantilly to Senlis. Does anyone know maybe the final destination of the bus so that the route may be easier to find. Another thought is that we might be able to reach Charles de Gaulle airport from Senlis and save back tracking on our last day! Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Senlis is still part of the SNCF train line, although no train still goes all the way there. You can purchase your train ticket at the Gare du Nord train station with Chantilly as your destination. But buy the ticket "through to Senlis" and it will cover the bus ride as well. Senlis is pronounced "Sonleece".

Once you arrive at the Chantilly train station, turn left as you exit the station and the bus stop is right there. There will be a schedule posted, but the bus is timed with the train arrival, so you should only need to wait for 5-10 minutes for the bus to Senlis. It is a very senic 20 minute bus ride to Senlis. Sit on the right side of the bus for the best views.

Buses are run by Cars Cariane, tel. 03 44 53 25 38.

There is a good tourist office in Senlis (you'll see it walking from the bus stop to the town center). They provide a well written and beautifuly illustrated map with a useful key showing 30 places of interest within the town center.

Don't go on a Tuesday, when most sights are closed.

A taxi from Senlis to CDG is ~50 euro, including toll.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Go to www.voyages-sncf.com and plug in Chantilly Gouvieux as your station of origination and Senlis as your destination. Then put in your dates. A schedule will come up for showing that route is served by an autocar (bus). It costs 2.70 euros and takes 25 minutes between the towns.

No need to buy tickets in advance, though. Just check the schedules so you can plan. You can buy your tickets at any train station or SNCF boutique once in Paris, or on the day of your departure.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I believe you can go from CDG to Senlis by bus - if not direct then via Creteil (Creil?)
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Trivial pronunciation question..I would have thought Senlis was pronounced Sonlee and not Sonleece...is this one of those special words?

Reims in another fav.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes. It is Sah(n) Lease.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I always thought the s was pronounced, as in Reims.

The bus from Chantilly goes through Creil, or at least one route (15, I think) does.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM

I thought Metz was awesome about an hour trainride from paris est cyndyq
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Metz is pretty interesting, but it's absolutely nothing like what the OP described as wanting to visit. It's a city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -