small town italy

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:57 PM
bud

small town italy

Would it be stupid to omit the big cities from a first trip to Italy and spend a week exploring the small towns and villages that the fodorites are so fond of?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Nancy

Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know you are going back to hit the big cities. I did the same in France for my first trip, and it worked out fine.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Wayne

Well, unless you arrive via an unusual method, you'll probably fly into one of the big cities (most likely Rome, possibly Milan). Since you arrive there, and unless you have an open jaw ticket you will also depart from there, then I would suggest you take advantage of one of the large cities where you arrive---and my choice in that case would be Rome. A couple of days in Rome followed by the rest of your time in small villages in the countryside might be a better way to spend your vacation, and it might give you a broader perspective for your next trip.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Cindy B.

Just came back from 2 weeks in Italy. Flew into Rome. Spent 3 nights. Saw everything we wanted to see. Then drove down the Amalfi Coast to Positano. Heaven. Wonderful contrast to the busy city of Rome . Also visited Assis. Another Heaven. But Rome is NOT to be missed.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:20 PM
barbara

For my first (and only) trip to Italy last summer, we flew into Milan and drove directly to Stresa for 2 days, then to the Cinque Terre for three days, then to Elba for three days at the beach, then to Tuscany for a week, in and around Montepulciano(took day trip to Florence) and then spent the last day in Rome, from which we flew out. It was a wonderful way to see the country and an incredibly enjoyable, interesting trip. Didn't love Florence, but adored Rome, so definitely will go back for more of that.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Rex

Wayne's point is right on, though if you come by train or car, nothing odd about never arriving via a big city. I took some friends to Lake Como/Monza in the fall of 2000 (arriving from Lugano), and planned no other big city in Italy. But we still ventured into Milan for half a day.

Glad for both aspects of the plan.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:59 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

A good idea IMHO. I love exploring the small villages in Italia and have often planned itineraires for just that. Here is a good start, assuming flying into Milan and out of Rome--or reverse:
Orta San Guilio
Portovenere
Montalcino
Spello
Orvieto
Sperlonga
Plot that one out--it will work and you will see the best of bella Italia.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:55 PM
beth

Go to www.slowtrav.com. They have tons of stuff on hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria.

There are tons of nice towns. Pick the ones that you are interested in. Also, make sure to eat at La Chiusa. http://www.ristorantelachiusa.it/it/it-home.htm

It's awesome!!! And one of Italy's two michlin one stars. It's also a nice place to stay.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Ying

I want to thank Rex & BOB THE NAIGATOR for many good advices and recomendations that were posted here. You two certainly have put in a lot of time for travelers like me. Next fall when I plan my 3 weeks trip in Germany/Austria, I will come back to this site and look you up again. Keep up the good work. Planning the trip is half of the fun even it can be frustrating sometimes. No fears when I know where to look for good tips.

Thanks again.

Ying

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Rex

I appreciate your kind remarks.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:50 AM
carolync

Bud,

I don't think omitting the big cities is stupid at all! It all depends on what YOU want to do. I just spent a week doing exactly what you are thinking of doing. We had planned on going to Florence for a day, but never quite found the time. Sure, we could have fit it in, but would have had to give up walking the roads of Chianti, picking fresh wildflowers and herbs and exploring tiny back roads on foot; I would trade that for anything.

Next time I plan on spending my vacation doing a big city tour. Follow your heart.