Reload this Page >

Small town for Paris day trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Kay

Can anyone suggest a small town with no tourist traps that I could make into a nice, relatively quiet day trip while in Paris next May? I plan to do the usual day trips but would also like to visit a town that is not found in guidebooks but has some ambience and &quot;sense of place.&quot; I know that a lot of you have done some touring in the Paris vicinity and hope you can suggest a town for me. <BR>Many thanks, Kay

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Eye Spy

You may want to visit Saint-Jean de Beauregard which is very well known for its plants shows and chateau throughout Europe. It is not very well known with American tourists. Check it out at: www.domsaintjeanbeauregard.com<BR><BR>An easy day trip from Paris with all the charm of a more quiet location that is typically French.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Ann

St Germain en Laye - very easy to get to by RER. A pleasant small town and definitely not touristy.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:16 AM
BillF

Although well known because of their chateaus both Fountainbleau and Chantilly have very charming and non-touristy feeling small town centers.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Rex

Two suggestions:<BR><BR>1. Gisors<BR><BR>2. Vernon (lots of tourists headed for Giverny by way of Vernon, but not so much for Vernon itself)<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Anne

Senlis! It's near Chantilly but not part of it at all. Very charming, ambience galore.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 05:30 PM
up

topping, for Kay<BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Carol

I overnighted years ago in Senlis and it is a lovely town w/a beautiful church. Stayed at Hotel du Cerf and enjoyed it. Anyone been there to give a current update?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Tom

&lt;&lt; Vernon (lots of tourists headed for Giverny by way of Vernon, but not so much for Vernon itself) &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>In a vague parallel, try visiting the little town of Maintenon which is very near Chartres. Actually, I don't think that chartres is &quot;too&quot; touristy, and you should go there in conjunction with going to Maintenon. You can get a little of both this way.<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Doug

If you are driving, try following te Eure river and be sure to pass through Maintenon as suggested. A quiet , not touristy day. If by train try Soissons. Great cathedrals, small town feel.