Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it easier to do Pompeii from Positano or Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:49 AM
DebbyDix

We will be spending a few days in Rome and then on to Positano and the Amalfi Coast. We want to do Pompeii, but we also do not want to pack and unpack so much. Is it a doable day trip from Positano as it is from Rome? Or should we just do Pompeii on our way to Positano? <BR><BR>If that is suggested, what is the best way? I do not think we wil have a car, but we can get a driver. How best to arrange, and how much do you think it will cost.<BR><BR>The couple we are traveling with is not as budget concious as we are so I want to arrange this piece of the trip.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Debby

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Steve James

Hello Debby,<BR><BR>It's easier from Positano than Rome, by public transport via META (or Sorrento).<BR><BR>Bus from Positano to Meta/Sorrento (25-40 mins), then train to Pompei(30 mins).<BR><BR>Or by taxi.<BR><BR>You can also easily do it en route, as there is a left luggage facility at Pompei. <BR> <BR>There is a Rome-Pompei bus service, or you could do it by train. <BR>By limo from Rome would be expensive. <BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Debby

Steve,<BR><BR>The driver sounds interesting. How much do you think a taxi would cost to take us to pomeii from Postano?<BR><BR>Debby

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Steve James

Should be in the range EURO 50-70 I think.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Steve James

P.S. I should have said - that's one way, NOT round trip.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Nancy

Debby:<BR><BR>Pompeii is an easy day trip from Positano. It is much closer than Rome, Rome is about 2 hours by train from Naples/Pompeii. You can hire a taxi for the day from Positano to drive you to Pompeii and wait for you, then return you to Positano. Should cost about US$100, maybe a bit more. You could negotiate this with a taxi driver. There are also many limo serivces in Amalfi, one often mentioned here is Positano Car Service (website of same name). Check this thread for other recommendations for car services.<BR><BR>Another way to do this is to see Pompeii on your way from Rome to Positano. If you are taking the train to Naples from Rome, a driver could meet you, take you to Pompeii and wait for you with your luggage, and then take you on the your hotel in Positano. This would avoid some back and forth. You could aldo do Pompeii on your way out of Positano back to Rome. We did this, we left in the morning from Amalfi, spent 4 hours at Pompeii and then had our driver take us to the train station and caught the train back to Rome.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Wendy

Debby,<BR><BR>We visited Pompeii on our way back to Rome from Positano. Total time in transit ( not counting three hour stop in Pompeii) with traffic just outside Rome was about three and a half hours.. We hired a driver ( heard about him on this forum) to take us to Pompeii, wait for us, then continue on to our hotel in Rome. If you'd like the driver's name, just e-mail. We thoroughly enjoyed him, and I've recommended him successfully to many friends. Have a wonderful time!