Search

Help Last Minute Plans to Rome and Positano

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Last Minute Plans to Rome and Positano

Hi we need some help!
We are leaving in just a couple of weeks to head to Italy. It is my husbands first trip and my second. We are looking forward to Rome (but know we are not spending enough time) but mainly we really need a vacation so we wanted to spend more time on the coast then in Rome.
We booked hotels last minute (ugh) and of course because of this will have to be hotel jumping.. yuck!
Itinerary: May 31-June 3 Rome
June 3-5 Positano
June 6-7 Capri
5pm flight on June 7th from Naples.

So what do you all think? Should we just be doing one more night in Rome and the rest in Positano. I have always wanted to see Capri and the blue grotto as well as Positano. Our hotel can only have us until the 6th so we would either have to change hotels in Positano anyways.

Also any suggestions on traveling. Is it too much to try to train from Rome to Naples and see Pompei then head to our hotel in Positano all on the 3rd? Also how would we do that? trains etc?

thank you !!!!!!
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Hi Huss - It looks OK to me

It's always nicer IMO to overnight in Capri rather than just day-trip - so I wouldn't change your bookings.

As for travel - yes, it's quite possible to see Pompeii en route to Positano. There is a left luggage facility at the entrance to Pompeii.

How to get there? Train to Naples -
www.trenitalia.com

- then local Circumvesuviana train (- dir: Sorrento) to POMPEII SCAVI.
Departures approx. every 30 mins:
www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

From Pompeii you can either continue to Sorrento by train (- 30 mins) - then SITA bus to Positano (- 45 mins).

OR ... you could arrange a taxi/limo transfer direct to Positano.

For Sorrento-Positano bus times:

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...ROXV_inv_4.pdf

You can find Positano-Capri ferry/hydrofoil timetables on:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Oh my goodness. It looks like you are going to spend too much time trying to jump on the trains with your luggage before the doors close. Also having to change hotels so much would eat up a lot of your time.
After experiencing the family service of [email protected], we have come to trust them for everything...transport,where to stay, where to eat, where to go, etc. They speak English and also have apts. in their Villa in Rome which you can check out on their website. The prices are the best we have seen and we have become family with Monia and Daniele. Email Monia at the email address above and see what they can do for you. I promise if you can go with these people it will be a memorable vacation.
We had so much time the first trip with them we went again.
Ciao
Shirley
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Hi Deaushuss,

It's a very quick trip, but not ridiculous. Too bad you can't get two nights on Capri. One will seem rushed.

Most importantly, have your Positano hotel made an advance reservation on the earliest boat to Capri. If you don't have one, you will probably have to wait until the next one, which is much later. When I was there, my res boat was at about 9:00am and the next one wasn't until 11:30 am.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also think this is fine. No reason to jump on trains as the doors are closing unless you're the always-late type.

As Steve James mentioned, you can see Pompei on the way to Positano. This makes for a long day involving three trains, a bus, probably a taxi and a lot of walking. If there was one day of your plan where I might splurge for convenience, this would be it. As Steve James mentioned, you might consider hiring a car service to pick you up at Pompei (or Sorrento) and take you directly to your hotel in Positano. It's the bus at the end that tips it for me. After all you've done that day, a very crowded bus ride and probably a taxi in Positano makes my head spin. Check out Steve James' links to various schedules and think about it.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

I knew this was going to be a bit of a whirlwind trip and I appreciate all of your help. Steve, the transportation is extremely helpful. I have been searching Fodors for restaurants, tips, Rome, and Positano and have been lucky you all have been beyond helpful. Especially, a little confidence that this trip is not going to be a disaster due to the time constraints... thank you!

Is there a ferry that would be easier for us to take?

Capri- so glad you agree we should go! It is the only hotel room not reserved. (I have a hotel but need to confirm asap) we are staying at Villa Franca in Positano (which I have heard is at the very top...sort of a bummer but has a pool and after such a busy earlier schedule, I think we will just chill at the pool)
Do we all agree if I am changing rooms anyways on the 6th that we should do Capri and sleep there that night instead of switching hotels in Positano and doing a day trip to Positano.
It looks like Capri is at least heading us in the right direction back to Naples... how do we get to Naples though.... breathe... thank you sooooo much everyone. My promise is to write feed back when I get back and help others in return.

oooh lastly.... I will continue to dig through the boards but any must see's in Positano or Rome.. we are going to try to keep it to a few sights. Gah!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM

The link I gave above is good for Positano-Capri and Capri-Naples (- Molo Beverello) ferries/hydrofoils:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

I would definitely do the overnight in Capri rather than changing hotels in Positano.

Villa Franca is half way down from Chiesa Nuova - you can get the local bus there from the Chiesa Nuova/Bar Internazionale stop just off the main road.

If you prefer to arrange a private transfer from Pompeii or Sorrento, here are some local limo companies which have been recommended here:

- Positano-based

www.positanocarservice.com
www.flaviogioia.com
www.limocarservice.net
www.benvenutolimos.com (Praiano)

- Sorrento-based

www.tourofitaly.com
www.francescomarrapese.com
www.cuomonet.it
www.seesorrento.com
www.sorrento.it

Hope this helps ...