small fridge in room

Search

small fridge in room

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small fridge in room

My trip to Italy is at the end of May, and I've been diligently reading this board for hotel recommendations for Rome, Florence and Venice. I've emailed a few of these hotels to check on availability. The problem is, we need a small fridge in our room for some of our medications. It looks like most of the hotels around the E150 range do not have such luxury. I hate to pay an extra E30-E50 a night to upgrade a hotel just for a small fridge. Do hotels have ice machines? And if anyone can give me more names of hotels in this price range that have a minibar or small in-room fridge, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM

The rooms in the Hotel San Carlo in Rome have these small refrigerators. Contact Victoria or Alberto there, ask them if you can have a room in your price range with a refrigerator, and tell them why. They will help you out.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM

Our hotel in Venice and Rome had a fridge but not in Florence. I've never seen an ice machine in any European hotel.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM

I had some meds to refrigerate for a few days last summer, and neither the London nor the Berlin B&B had a fridge in the room.

However the management at both places was happy to allow me to store my meds in their kitchen fridge until I retrieved them. Granted, it was only one small box with a couple syringes in it.

You might want to email your hotels in advance to see if they'd extend you the same courtesy I was shown.

Fritzrl
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi Mit,

Good advice from Fritz.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Definitely do not count on finding ice machines.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM

Hotel Italia in Rome had an ice machine 2 years ago but I don't remember a fridge in the room. However, they do include breakfast in the rate so must have a fridge on premises.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM
SRS

Tourist House Ghiberti has fridges in their rooms in Florence. I'm not sure of their prices in May, but I believe their website states it.

www.touristhouseghiberti.com

This place was really wonderful - we stayed for 4 nights last August and it was the gem of the trip!

Also, I saw that you posted about Banchi Vecchi in Rome - I think that they also have fridges. I can't remember for sure, but I think they did. That hotel is very nice as well - but there is not a whole lot of contact with staff - if that bothers you. We stayed there for 3 nights last August.

Best wishes,
Sally
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:51 AM

I would not rely on being able to store your Meds & syringes in the fridge of Hotel kitchen as it is against the law(health & safety) in most if not all European Countries.Secondly I would not want to eat in a restaurant that keeps Meds & syringes in its kitchen.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Have you thought of going with an apartment? I have found they are usually cheaper than hotels and you would have plenty of fridge space.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Hotel Oceania (138E per night in cash with Rick Steve's dicsount) has a small fridge in each room (ROME). We love this hotel. It is about a 10-15 minute walk (or short taxi ride) from the train station and it is about a 10 minute walk to the pantheon. It is just down the street from the Quirinal Palace and we felt VERY safe walking in the neighborhood at night.
We stayed there last June on our honeymoon and will be staying there agian this May. I posted a detailed review on this site and www.tripadvisor.com.

In Florence, we stayed at Hotel Europa (about 3 minutes from the Medici Chapels and abut 7-8 minutes walking from the Duomo). We were in a suite (140E per night in June) and it had a small fridge. I posted a review on this website as well as on www.tripadvisor.com. Our ceiling was COVERED in gorgeous original 16th century frescoes - beautiful! I am not sure if their regular rooms have a fridge, but the suite did.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I've never seen an ice machine or small fridge in a European hotel either. However, the apt.'s I've stayed in have all had a large refrigerator in the kitchen. You should be able to find some studio apt's close to your price range.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Lots of European hotels have small fridge/mini bars but not ice machines.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Texaggie...You are claimed owner of OCEANIA B&B in rome. You are owner of B&B not of HOTEL..why write Hotel oceania?
Why write bad comment about 58 Le real de Luxe ?
How many others alias have you here?
Only these services have Oceania bed and breakfast?

Author: TexasAggie
Date: 02/17/2005, 11:24 am

My husband and I like Hotel Oceania for 138E per night. We stayed there this past June and will stay there again this May.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Huh? I don't see where TexasAggie is claiming to be the owner of anything. All I see is a high recommendation of Hotel Oceania.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:23 AM

It appears that lionel may not be a native speaker of English. Perhaps he means that aggie was the author (as opposed to owner) of a comment on an establishment that she referred to as a hotel but is actually a b&b... Beyond that possiblity, I also am confused by his comment.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Thanks Statia

While the job of a hotel owner in Italy does sound interesting, I think I'll stick to my job as a tax accountant here in Denver, Colorado.
Byt he way, I've recommended a few other hotels just as highly as this one (Villa Steno, Gasthof Greifen, Hotel Europa).