Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe Hotel - how to accommodate a family of four?

Apr 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

We are a family of four, two adults and two teens (12, 13). When traveling inside USA, we normally book a double-bed room. But very few European hotels have rooms for four people. In some cases, there are suite categories in a hotel but the price is almost double that of a room for two adults.

I have also looked at apartment rentals but normally they require a min nights stay which does not fit into our "see as much as possible" schedule.

I wonder how you would accommodate your family of four affordably? We do not mind sharing a small room, with the teens possibly sleeping on the sofa or floor. Do you know the hotels in general allow this?

By the way, I am specifically looking for hotels in Rome (3 nights), Florence (2-3 nights), Venice (1 night), Nice France (1 night).

Thanks.
Apr 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
mms

Look for hotels that list quad rooms. Sometimes a website won't mention it, so you need to call and ask. Places we have stayed in quad rooms include in Rome, the Hotel Miami and in Florence, the Casci Hotel.

The Miami is beautiful. Our room had a queen size bed in one room, and then in another area of the room (sort of partitioned off) were two twin beds. The bathroom was large and very nice. The staff were very friendly towards the kids and seemed to enjoy them.

The Casci was great too, although a bit more spartan. Not bad at all though. Our room there was one big open room with a queen bed and two twins. The bathroom was pretty small, but still workable. The great thing about this hotel is the location as well as the owners. They really make sure that you are comfortable and if you need any help they are more than willing to help.

We would definitely stay at both of these places again.

In Venice, I cannot recommend the hotel we stayed at. It was Hotel Canada. Very noisy, with a bar downstairs adjacent that was extremely noisy for most of the night. The room itself was clean, but the lights didn't work and neither did any of the outlets. Our bathroom was across the hall, which wouldn't have been bad except it was right next to the stairs where everyone passed to leave. There is more...but I just wanted to give you an idea so you find other places in Venice besides this hotel.
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM

As above, you need the term "quad".
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I had good luck e-mailing the properties directly. Generally they did have space for our family of 4 and also the rates provided were better than their websites. You can also check venere.com and tripadvisor to get a general idea of rates and availability but again, I had more luck e-mailing directly. Even if some hotels did not show anything available for 4, often via e-mail, they would offer something.

We booked Residenza Canali in Rome & Locanda Orseolo in Venice; both had "family accommodations" under 300 Euro.
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM

..be mindful that many hotels will not allow the option of "sharing a small room with the teens sleeping on a sofa or the floor"..a double is a double and older children "count"..you will find some but it just takes work. Put quad room in the search box with the city name as there have been a number of threads on this topic.
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
mms

Another thought. You might consider two rooms. With kids this age, it really is nice to have two bathrooms and it makes it much faster in the mornings for everyone to get ready and get out the door.
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM

You can rent apartments in Rome, Florence and Venice for several nights. Check out slowtravel.com. We just returned from Italy and rented an apartment in Rome and Florence for 3 nights each for our family of 5. It allowed us to spread out, eat some meals in and do laundry(which allowed us to carry on our luggage). The apartments we rented were superb and the price was right. I spent A LOT of time researching the area we wanted to stay and reviewing the reviews of apartments. It really paid off. We did spend a few odd nights in quad room hotel rooms in betweeen, and it was nice to go down and be served breakfast for a change. Have fun.
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Also, try asking for a "family room." Your kids are young enough that they are considered children in hotels that have an age limit. For instance, over 15 is considered adult in the Premier Travel Inn group.
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM

There are a couple of things in this post that seemed nutty:

Why are you going to Nice for 1 night?

Also, I think it is borderline nuttiness to even consider having anybody sleeping on the floor after a day of sightseeing and vacationing in Italy...

I really hope your two young teens are the same sex; kinda of strange to have teenager siblings of opposite sex sharing a bed (double size or whatever size...). Weird.
Apr 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM

At Hotel Santa Prisca in Rome we stayed in a family suite (parents & 3 teenagers) and they had "quad" rooms also I believe. We would definitely stay there again. They were listed in a book "Great Sleeps of Italy." Parking was included also.
Apr 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the excellent information.

MMS: Hotel Miami seems to be a good choice but no quad room is available for the days we travel. I sent an email to them to inquire whether we can stay in a triple. Casci is nice too. Did you book directly with the hotel or third-party reseller (hopefully it will be cheaper)?

PRHISCH: Can you tell me which apartments you stayed? I will feel more comfortable staying in a place recommended. Thanks.

suze, tinamidon, travelbunny, MECindylou, bella33: Thank you all for the information. I will follow up the leads.

Viajero2: I assume Nice/Monaco is famous for beach which will be very crowded in July. We have been to many top rated beaches, so we do not plan to stay long. As to sharing a small room, it's all about saving. We travel a lot, the kids are really appreciative and they are willing to do everything to keep our trip within budget.

Apr 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM

hx88
In Rome we stayed at Vicolo Della Penitenza in Trastereve and booked via sleepinitaly.com. It had 2 bedrooms, 1 with a queen bed and 1 single bed and a pull out couch in the living room. The living room was spacious and included sky tv and a nice stereo system. The kitchen was fairly large and nicely stocked with olive oil, pasta, coffee, sugar, wine. There was a seviceable dining area and a nice bathroom with shower only. The location worked well for us; it was quiet by night , but well placed for getting around. We did have one problem during our first day when every body was tired and three of us were sick. The key would not work. We were essentially locked out of the apartment. We called the agency and received top notch treatment. The owner of the apartment arrived with 2 other people; a locksmith and carpenter should the lock need replacing. Fortunatley, someone was able to get the lock working, and they enlarged the lock engagement area so that the lock would continue to work. This was on a Friday evening and the entire episode took 1 hour. You never really know what you're getting when you rent, but I can tell you we had peace of mind and a very comforatable time in Rome.

In Florence we rented a house just out side of the city for a week. I would be happy to tell you more about if you would like, but if you're only staying 1 day, you would probably prefer to stay in Florence.

In venice we rented via viewsonvenice.com and were very impressed with this operation. They were very accessable and helpful. Our flight left at 8:15 pm for Dublin and they allowed us to stay until we needed to leave at 5:00 pm, despite the fact that they had guests coming the next day. We stayed at Ca' Dell' Albero. The location was PERFECT. So much so that I thought we were headed towards a dump given the price. The place was great!. Right off of a canal and has a glimse of the grand canal out of the window. And it was quiet. I hope this helps.
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM
mms

hx88--We used a travel agent for that trip, so she took care of all the arrangements. A friend stayed at the Casci after us and made their reservations themselves. I can't remember if there was a price difference or not, but I know they loved the hotel too. For Rome, another hotel that friends used with their 3 children was the Morgana Hotel.
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

prhirsch, I really appreciate your info about the apartments and your stories of the property management.

MMS: Thanks again for your replies and additional info of hotel in Rome.
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM

hx88: I notice from your other thread you used Priceline to get rooms for the London and Paris legs of your trip. Now you are asking about rooms for 4 of you.

Did you get 2 rooms at each hotel in London and Paris?? If not - you may be in a spot of bother, as they say. PL rooms will be doubles - and normally they will not let you sleep extra people in the same room.

Maybe you have this handled already - but if not this is just a heads up . . . .
Apr 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

janisj, Thanks for the head-up. The hotel I booked has free children stay policy. This is what I read from their website and I guess I will phone the hotel to confirm.

Apr 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Most european hotel rooms have only one double bed or two twin because they aren;t large enough for a second double bed. If you try to fit 4 in a room for 2 there may not be room for 2 teens to sleep on the floor - never mind no bedding or towels - or breakfast if it's included. Even if the hotel is willing to do it - which they won;t be.

As noted above there are a limited number of quad or family rooms - and if you take these be sure to let them know the age of your kids (so they're not thinking they can set up a small cot for a 3/4 year old).

But we have always taken a separate room for our daughters when we traveled - since they were 11 and 14. Granted it costs a little more, but it's worth it to have a second bath (esp with 2 teen/tween girls) and everyone needs a little privacy - a change from being together 24/7, when you can really get on each others nerves.
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler, I appreciate your well-thought post. I am a bit uncomfortable with reserving two rooms because it will almost double my budget. When traveling, we spend a lot of time on sight-seeing and activities. Hotel is more or less a sleep place for us (I ack there are other styles). So as long as a hotel is clean, safe and affordable, we will stay there.

By the way, I just booked a night at Novotel Nice Center for $127 a night for four of us (Novotel is one of the very few hotels that have free children stay policy). It's not close to beach but it's fine as we will have a car by then.

http://www.novotel.com/gb/leisure/fa...children.shtml

It's a lot harder to get deals like this in Italy. I am flexible and I will follow the leads on this threads.

Thanks again for the information.

Apr 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM

"I am a bit uncomfortable with reserving two rooms because it will almost double my budget."

Sad, but true. But let's face it, why should it surprise anyone that it should cost twice as much for four people to travel as for two people to travel? I think the US has given people a false sense of "four can travel as cheaply as two" as it is one of the few countries that encourages and freely offers "family rooms" for four or even five.
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM

When we travel with our four children in Europe, we used a lot the Citadines. A French chain that rents for the day, week...or month apartments in apart hotels.
Tey are I believe all over Eruope and they used to have
like three different season prices, they were very reasonable, nice. Although service was extra. But as long as you leave it the way you found it you do not need to pay extra for service. They include a well appointed small kitchen which when traveling with children comes handy because they are always eating something, at least our children ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO