Slovenia in late March - early April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just starting to plan a trip to Slovenia for late March/early April 2009. I know that is less than 3 months away so I need to get moving

I've been reading lots of previous posts on here and they have given me some good ideas, but I'd love to get more input.

We have looked at Croatia as well and might visit the Istrian peninsula for a few days, but otherwise we think we'll save Croatia for a separate trip. For Slovenia (and possibly the Istrian peninsula of Croatia), we'll have 10-14 days including travel and we'll be traveling with our kids - ages 7 and 8. My husband's very serious hobby is landscape photography so we are mostly interested in scenic areas, walks and enjoying nature; although after reading many posts I believe we'll plan at least one day in Ljubljana.

I'm just starting to plan, but need to pull this together quickly. First, I realize it is still a bit chilly this time of year and that is ok with us, as long as areas are accessible. Will we be in trouble in the alps with driving at that time due to snow?

I was thinking we'd fly into Ljubljana, rent a car and then drive toward the Julian Alps. Is it better to stay in Bled or near Lake Bohinj? We're thinking of spending 3-4 nights here. My husband likes to get the feel for an area and not be rushed so I realize this might be more time than others would take.

I'm thinking we could then head to the southwest toward the caves. I saw a recommendation for staying in Stanjel. What else is there to see in this area? How many days should we stay here?

After that, maybe head toward the peninsula and stay in Rovinj? or is somewhere else better? How many days here? 3-4? We'd then need to get back to Ljubljana and probably spend a day and night there before catching a plane home.

If I am focusing on the west are there any major areas I'm missing?

Does anyone have specific recommendations for a self-catering place or a family hotel (we'd love at least one separate bedroom so the kids can go to bed earlier than us) for any of these areas?

I greatly appreciate all feedback and suggestions!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After some more searching, we're thinking we'll possibly save this trip for October...but all of the questions still apply! Thanks!