extra night in Salzburg or Munich?

Jul 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

extra night in Salzburg or Munich?

We have 5 nights to split between Salzburg and Munich. We'll be arriving in Salzburg first (from Vienna) and going on to Nurnberg after Munich.

We really don't want to stay in more then four hotels (Vienna, Salz., Munich, Nurn.) but we're open to day trips. Also, it will be early December, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Munich is a larger city than Salzburg, and you would probably benefit from extra time there, depending on day trips. From Salzburg you can take a day trip (if accessible in December) to the the Eagle's Nest. You can also go to Dachau from Munich.

It is easy to get around both cities on foot, but Munich has a great Metro system.

Jul 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

woops, I just saw that someone else posted this same question... I'll just read the answers there - thanks Delaine!
Aug 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM

To be honest, you can see Salzburg in pretty much one day, it's a small place.

I would definitely spend the other night in Munich.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM

We just spent a week in Salzburg and three days in Munich. We loved both and I respectfully disagree that you can see Salzburg in a day. We did fabulous daytrips to Koenigsee, St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgangsee, and more. It was an ideal base and a superb place to return to (we were there in early December).

We very much enjoyed Munich but three nights were sufficient. I had visited both cities previously and it my husband's first trip. He loved Salzburg and really enjoyed Munich.

I am now planning a trip for November 26- December 7th of next year. We are flying into Berlin, spending three days, heading to Nurnberg, then 5 nights in Salzburg and 3 in Munich.

Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

The only city in Europe that I've seen and I really didn't care for was Munich, so I'd say Salzburg (which I loved). However, if you're open to daytrips, you could go to Neuschwanstein as a daytrip (as we did), or tour the Romantic Road. We didn't do daytrips from Salz. so I can't comment on those.