Reload this Page >

Fiesa, Piran, Bled??

Search

Fiesa, Piran, Bled??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:03 PM
tina

Fiesa, Piran, Bled??

Hi, just wondering which of these three cities/towns we should spend 3 days in August? Also, are hotel reservations required this time of year or could we possibly wing it? We will be arriving by car. Also, the car rental agency warned us that car theft is a problem over there? Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks for your posts.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:13 PM
Jan

Hi Tina,<BR>I haven't been to Fiesa, but we do like Bled and Piran. Three days is a bit much in just one of them owever. If you do Piran, you may want to cruise down to the coast into Croatia, as well. If you decide to do Bled, add Ljubljana and perhaps, Postojna caves and the caste Predjama. There is a wonderful article in the Washington Post on Slovenia. www.washingtonpost.com and then, go to the travel section and Eastern Europe.<BR><BR>We have an apartment in Ljubljana and have found it safe for cars. We lock the car and use an alarm system on our nicer one. Many more problems in Hungary and other parts of Eastern Europe. The car rental agencies tend to group all of the countries together when there are huge differences. Just lock and take any valuables with you. You won't have a problem.<BR>Enjoy!<BR>Jan

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Tina

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to our trip...Any suggestions on where to stay in Piran? I think we will go through Bled for a day and head to Piran in the evening for 3 nights. That will allow us 2 full days in Piran to sun bathe, sight see and perhaps take a cruise as you suggested to Croatia and will depart on the 3rd day. Of course now that August is around the corner and we have no accommodations......would you recommend chancing it and finding zimmer frei along the way or definitely book something? Thanks for your advice. I can't imagine what it is like to live in one of our vacation resorts! Wonderful I am sure.....t

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:52 PM
Jan

Tina,<BR>How adventurous do you feel? My husband just drove down to Ljubljana on Sunday and he said that the roads were jammed with RVs from Germany and The Netherlands. August is high season but if it is just you and another adult, why not take a chance??? We have never stayed in Piran, just done day trips from Ljubljana. Recommended hotel in Lj. is The Grand Union Hotel. Great location and good service.<BR><BR>If you like natural scenery, Lake Bohinj may be a good addition. It is near Lake Bled, and as beautiful, but not developed.<BR><BR>I am sorry if I misled you. I didn't mean cruise literally. I meant that you could drive down the coast to Croatia and perhaps visit Opatija and Rijeka. Rovinj is supposed to be nice, as well. The Istrian Peninsula is beautiful. One more thing...If you are staying in Piran, it is about 40 kms away from Trieste. Just another option, but then, there are so many!!!<BR>Have fun planning.<BR>Jan

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Tina

Hi Jan, thanks again for all of your suggestions! We leave next week for our trip and look forward to our Slovenia portion of it in mid August. We did find a hotel in Piran, Tartini with a 3 night opening. Not sure if it is on the water or not but it has to be close. We found that most places wanted 5 night minimums in season. So I think we will book it for 3 nights and use it as a home base to see the area. I think we have decided to bask in the sun for this last portion of our trip (previously coming from Frankfurt, Prague and Cesky Krumlov), see the Sojkco Caves and see the coastal area including possibly a catamaran ride to either Croatia or Venice for a day depending on the sea (I get sea sick). Also hope to do some riding in the area since I am a great horse lover. If you have any additional suggestions I welcome them! Also, if we do decide to see one castle (since we will be touring a few in the CZ) which one would you suggest? And lastly (for now) public restrooms? Are they readily available, how do you say restrooms and are they pretty much pay as in Germany? Thanks. t

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:13 AM
chris

Hey Tina,<BR>In Piran, try the Hoteli Piran. If you do a key word search with the name, they have a website and it is right on the water. It's cheaper than Tartini which and is inland, as well. We're going to stay there in September. I haven't heard anything about car theft in Slovenia as it's one of the more well-to-do E. European countries. I have a friend in Ljubljana and she's never mentioned it. Piran is supposed to have good nightlife and you can take a boat from Piran to Rovinj, Croatia on Wednesday, Fridays and Sundays departing at 10 am.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:16 PM
Jan

Hi Tina,<BR>So you CAN do a cruise down the coast?!!<BR>That sounds like a fun idea.<BR><BR>Check out the Washington Post site at http://www.washingtonpost.com They have information about the Lippizan Horses and riding. Just follow the links to Eastern Europe and then, Slovenia.<BR><BR>As far as bathrooms go...well...I don't know. It has never been a problem so that leads me to believe that you will find restrooms when you need them ;-). If worse comes to worse, stop in a cafe and have a cappucino for 80 cents. They are at all of the tourist sites and were fine. I don't remember paying for them (except that darned cappucino fee!)<BR><BR>I haven't done the castles but Predjama is supposed to be great. It is by the Postojna caves, direction Ljubljana. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went. I suspect Slovenia is going to be of interest to lots of people! An up and coming destination.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan