help with Slovenia, etc.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with Slovenia, etc.

I have

Help! I'm planning a solo driving trip to the following areas, but I only have 6 nights. What should I eliminate here? FYI -- Vienna and Munich are not optional.

As for my sightseeing preferences, I like to take walks and drink.

fly into Vienna (2 nights)
Bled
Ljubljana
Piran
Trieste
Cortina
Munich (1 night)
fly out early a.m.

thanks

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:08 AM

All of the cities you cited in Slovenia are very different and it depends what you are looking for.

If you are hiker/naturalist, as you say - keep Bled and maybe add bohinij which is nearby. There are great hiking trials. there are some nice pubs in town to visit as well.

Ljubljana is small quaint capital city and probably could be done in 4-5 hours if need be. You could visit the Union brewery to try some Union. I believe bars still sell Krawotik (sp) beer as well.
Piran is small Adriatic port town similar but not the same as a greek island. You could probably add Postinja as well. Very cool. You could maybe do Ljublana and Piran in a day but that would definitely pushing it. That would also require you to be in the car for 1-1/2

IMHO, I would get rid of Trieste and Cortina but I am biased b/c I spent the best summer of my life studying at the University of Ljubljana. Good luck - you'll love Slovenia.

Why not just stay in Slovenia for the six days and save Italy for another time. You could see the River Soce, Maribor, and there are several caves that are great to visit. One is even on the UN preservation lists.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:21 AM

If you have only 6 nights and are driving all the time yourself, there is no big choice!Bled is nice, have a walk round the lake, stay there overnight, then visit Ljubljana, head for the famous cave Postojnska Jama, then drive around the istrian peninsula ( which means Slovenia and Croatia! ) and do not miss Trieste. Then take one day to drive to Munich via Salzburg.Have fun!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I would drop Trieste.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:54 PM

I like Bienemaus' suggestion. I enjoyed Slovenia and, personally, really liked Trieste.