Slides of Greece

Search

Slides of Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slides of Greece

Don't know who might have an answer. For some years I've done slide programs on travel (I know, outmoded technology). Now I've been asked to repeat one on Greece and am wondering about updating it with Olympics and all since my visit.

Anyone have recommendations about ordering slides for various locations? Thanks!

Ozarks Bill [email protected]
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:48 AM

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, Bill, but here's a thought if indeed slides are no longer available. First, have you ever heard of Power Point, a presentation softare(or maybe you call it a program) for computers? Here's my idea (coming from a complete techno-idiot). Perhaps you could have your slides put on a computer disk (I did that with some slides from the 1940's and they show up beautifully!) at a film place or at your local film-developer. Then you could copy and paste those images to a power point presentation and add Olympic images downloaded from a website -- surely there must be some, yes? Your photographs will transfer beautifully to a remote screen (like they use in schools). Well that's my half-baked idea. If you know a techno-proficient teacher, he/she can certainly clue you in on the Power Point -- or maybe a salesman. Evidently they are all the rage nowadays. J.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:39 AM

If Bill is able to order slides then presumably they would be cleared for usage. Downloading Olympic images from a website brings up copyright issues. If someone doesn't have permission to use the images then it's like stealing.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:47 AM

I forgot about that, taggie, but if you credit the source below each image and use them as part of a non-commercial slide show, doesn't that fall under "fair use"? Another option, I believe, is to e-mail the website owners and ask their permission to include the images (especially if this is a non-commercial program, as I assume it to be). They often give permission quite willingly, because it affords such good public relations venues. At least that has been my experience as an educator. J.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Right...yes I know about Power Point and have seen many presentations using same. And realize I might indeed put slides on a computer disc. But as mentioned before, I'm still doing the slides thing for the few programs I do...and what I really want is some way of adding a few more slides on Greece, especially shots from the upcoming Olympics. Surely some PR or tourist source can provide some, like those in a museum gift shop? Anyone have contacts in Athens?

Yes, jmw44...I just might do the transfer anyway for some travel slides for posterity!
Ozarks Bill
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 06:06 AM

http://www.gnto.gr/

Hi, O'Bill, Perhaps the Greek National Tourism Organization site may be a place to start. See if they have a contact address. Many years ago in the days of snail mail, I wrote to them, and they sent me a set of the most gorgeous photographs I've ever seen. Good luck. J.