Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in DUBLIN: Any comments on KILRONAN House; Number 31; or HARRINGTON Hall?

Search

Sleeping in DUBLIN: Any comments on KILRONAN House; Number 31; or HARRINGTON Hall?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to book accomodations in Dublin which are Quiet at night for sleeping, and within walking distance of Trinity College and St. Stephen's Green areas. We prefer a place with some Irish character, non-smoking, and a good included breakfast. Price range $80 to $200 per room per night.

If you have stayed at any of these places, I would love your feedback. What was your experience, and how long ago was your stay?

Kilronan House
(Guesthouse, Adelaide Road)

Number 31
(Guesthouse, Leeson Close, Lower Leeson Street)

Harrington Hall
(family-owned; Harcourt St.)

I did check guest comments on www.tripadvisor.com, but I always value feedback on fodors too. Many thanks! I will be staying with hubby and 2 young adult daughters next summer 2006.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:21 AM

We have not stayed at the hotels you mention. We have stayed at the Harcourt Street Hotel which is probably near Harrington Hall.

The Harcourt Street Hotel converted dining space in to a "beer garden" with the advent of the no-smoking law in 2004. It was a nightmare as to noise so unlike our 2003 pre-beer garden visit. Reasonable hotel, courteous staff but unless it has changed I would not stay within a block of it as the young'uns pour out at 1:30 a.m. yelling in the street.

Anthony
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Anthony, thank you for the warning about the noise in the Harcourt St. area. I have trouble sleeping in new places even if people are walking by my room talking, let alone yelling in the streets!

I just looked up your hotel, Harcourt St. Hotel, on www.tripadvisor.com, and sure enough, everyone complained about the noisy people coming home from the bars...except for the people who themselves had come to party all night.

We like to have our fun in the daytime and will be in bed by midnight, so I really need someplace quiet at night. I wonder if I am searching for something that doesn't exist? Is there a B&B in Dublin with a convenient location, which is quiet at night (not near any noisy late-night clubs?

Based on the reviews on Harcourt Street hotel, I am worried about Kilronan House and Harrington Hall as well, which are in the general area. Although the reviews are better for Kilronan and Harrington.

If anybody wants to share their experience it would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
molly52

Melissa
I know nothing about those places in Dublin (even though I am Irish, - from Kilkenny, 75 miles from Dublin) but I agree about the noise at night in many hotels since the beer-garden changes. The solution is EARPLUGS! Get a comfy pair in a good pharmacy - they are only a couple of euros - and let the merry throngs do their worst. Or better still go to the bar and join them. Have a lovely holiday next summer, sometimes I wonder what brings people to Ireland cos it aint what it used to be, but I suppose you have to be an outsider coming here to appreciate it.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Molly52, what brings me to Ireland is my Irish grandmother, who passed away many years ago, but not before instilling in me a longing to understand everything Irish!

How did Ireland used to be? (You say it's not what it used to be.)

So, am I understanding this corrrectly, beer gardens are noisy and outside, because of the smoking laws? So this would be a problem with any city hotel, you are saying? (It's very hard, using info on line, to find a hotel which isn't near a noisy beer garden!)

I do use ear plugs, but really I sleep better in a quiet room. For previous travels I have managed to locate a quiet room by chatting with folks on-line. It usually works.

Well I do plan to visit the pubs and hope to chat with some locals. But we won't be partying all night. Hubby and I are around 50 and light drinkers...a beer or a glass of wine now and then. Daughters are young adults. On vacation we go to bed around midnight and get up around 8:00 for breakfast. And hope to sleep in between!

I don't feel too much like an outsider, as I feel like my Irish grandmother is calling me home!

Nice chatting with you. I hope we do have a lovely holiday.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM

Hi Melissa,
We stayed at Kilronan House in 2004 and liked it. I don't remember it being noisy and the owner was very friendly. It is within walking distance of Trinity and the main areas of Dublin. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM

Melissa--We stayed at the Kilronan House several years ago and found it to be quiet. The breakfast was good and the room nice and reasonably priced for Dublin. I remember it having stairs--perhaps our room may have been on the third floor--no elevator. Parking was very tight but luckily most guests seemed to not have cars as we did as we needed it to get to the airport the next day. It was not easy to find this place. It is near the Harcourt area but Adelaide Rd was tricky to find--it seems that many streets are just one block long and then change names in the next block. Also it was not easy getting from that area to the airport. DH says he will not drive in Dublin again!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM

My vote is for my favorite Dublin lodgings...Staunton's on the Green...directly across fro St. Stpehen's Green..easy walk across the green and you're in the heart of Dublin, Grafton Street, Trinity College, O'connell Street, the River Liffy, etc etc etc...reasonable..probably now about $140-150.
Stu
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

KENDRA and NINI:
Thanks for your feedback on Kilronan. Glad to hear you remember it as being quiet. Do you remember where your room was...front room on the street, back room, 1st floor, top floor? (Many hotels have some quiet rooms and some noisy rooms, I find.)

STU: I haven't heard of Staunton's on the Green. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll look that one up.

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:30 AM

A nice hotel we stayed at is Buswell's. We were there on our honeymoon in 1989 and returned for brunch in 2004. It is a quiet hotel but I think may be in your price category. It is right near St. Stephen's Green.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 01:41 AM

Melissa, dont go anywhere near Harcourt Street, we had friends from Canada staying there just last week, and they nearly went nuts with the noise at night, If i were you i'd stay at Kilronan House, is quiet but yet central to the city centre.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Powell and Lucielou, thanks so much for replying. Kilronan is looking good, and all your feedback helps so much. I will also look into Buswell's.

Lucielou, I don't want to go nuts with the noise on Harcourt St., that's for sure!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
PBH

Are you the same Melissa who went to Italy with her family last year? If so, I just want you to know how much I enjoyed your trip report on the other "F" board for Italy and I'm looking forward to same for Ireland. Have a great trip!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

PBH, yes, I'm the same Melissa who went to Italy in June 2004 with family. Fantastic trip! We also went to Costa Rica in June 2005. Looooooong trip report. Looking forward to writing Ireland trip report after June 2006 trip! Thanks for your nice comment.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:38 AM

try www.hotel-ireland.com - they have lots of very good deals. I got 60% discount at St Stephen's Green Hotel, being quoted 114 euros a night.

I also liked the look of Staunton's on the Green, but it did come up more expensive. I don't think I found it with hotel-ireland, though - I have pasted the link from my file below:

http://www.bookassist.com/conduit/de...amp;guide_id=1

Good luck and have a great trip.