Sleeping bags

Oct 13th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Sleeping bags

Hi All,

What sleeping bag would be best to opt for? Our trip is in May. The packing list suggests something suitable for -10 degrees but I don't know whether to go for down filled or synthetic. I've read about the pros and cons of both but still have no idea hence my question to the experts

Thank you
Oct 13th, 2018, 09:45 PM

Is this -10 C or -10 F? There's a big difference. I'd assume Celsius, since you are posting on the Europe board, but a lot of Americans automatically think in Fahrenheit.

Are you going to sleep outside in tents? I think waterproof is more important than the down/synthetic question in that case. Waking up in a wet sleeping bag after a night of heavy rain is NOT fun. And if you have to move on the same day there won't be time to dry it out, so then it could still be wet the next night.

Are you going to carry everything yourself, with lots of walking around? Then weight and size of the rolled up bag is important. On the other hand, if you have a car/bus and only need to carry everything a couple of meters you don't need to worry about that problem.

You mention a packing list. Did you get that from a tour company? Maybe you should ask them what they think,
Oct 13th, 2018, 10:20 PM

We can’t really help you. A lot of it comes down to your budget and personal preference. I like my down one because it packs down nicely. I like my old synthetic one, because I don’t care what happens to it. But I wouldn’t buy an expensive bag for just one trip.
Oct 13th, 2018, 11:20 PM

What sort of trip is it? Are you flying to get to it? Do you have time to buy a sleeping bag after you arrive and before you need it?
If you are unlikely to ever use it again don't buy down. A waste of money. You can get synthetic ones which are warm but pack down really small if that is important.
Oct 14th, 2018, 12:45 AM

Where are you going and why do you need a sleeping bag?

Search this Thread