Christmas 2019 In England - Looking For Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, as well as our daughter and 12 year old grandson, are considering spending Christmas 2019 in England. Our thoughts are in the very beginning of the planning stage, but we know we'd like to revolve the entire trip around an awesome Christmas experience/celebration. We are thinking we'd like something along the "country manor" or castle experience. Last year we spent Christmas in a hotel in Budapest. It was beautiful and fun, but we'd like something a little more personalized this time around. I welcome your suggestions! Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 08:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it was me, I'd maybe re-thimk the idea a bit. Country house Christmas breaks are predominantly geared to adults with not too awful much for kids. Some 'family events' to be sure, but by definition they are mostly isolated and out in the country and most people staying will be older/well off couples . . . And are quite pricey but budget may not be an issue??

anyway -- The big cities (especially London) have many many fun/holiday events for all ages and very festive atmosphere. Maybe a couple of days in a country house hotel but mainly plan the trip around London.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 11:10 AM

Hampton Court Palace especially is well known for it popular Christmas decor and presentations:

https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court...s-celebration/
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 12:37 PM

Here you are:

https://www.lygonarmshotel.co.uk/christmas-new-year/
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj! You have a good point about the country house celebration not necessarily being active enough for a twelve year old. Plus, we are sensitive to the fact that many adult guest don't always appreciate having children around. I will be sure to look into London Christmas festivities.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestion, PalenQ. I notice this seems geared to school classes. Do you know if they offer this for the general public? I will investigate further.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, Lygon Arms Hotel looks like a lovely hotel with a great Christmas package. I would imagine that it is possible to take a train from London.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:48 PM

>>I would imagine that it is possible to take a train from London.<<

It is in Broadway and the nearest train stations are in Moreton-in-Marsh about 25 minutes away by car, and Evesham which is a little nearer but the train takes 20 minutes longer. Also note that rail travel can be disrupted around the holidays with track works plus total shut down on Christmas.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nevermind
Good suggestion, PalenQ. I notice this seems geared to school classes. Do you know if they offer this for the general public? I will investigate further.
Hampton Court will have an ice rink in front of the Palace, before the main entrance. You can buy tickets for it. There is almost always something going on at HCP especially at Christmas, it is beautifully lit up with different colours.

https://www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court...ng/#gs.4h7o9AE
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Keep in mind that London basically shuts down Christmas Day. So if you do end up in London, you’ll want to look where you can walk to from your hotel, if that’s where you end up,, and also what’s open when. (A lot of stuff is closed the next day or two after. I liked Italy more for that reason. London was a bit of a struggle logistics wise).

i love the idea of the castle or country house—I tried to do that, but they do have minimum stays, so that would be something else to consider. I don’t know if either count as personalized, though? I mean, whether you’re in a mansion or a castle, you’re still in a hotel.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 04:52 PM

>>A lot of stuff is closed the next day or two after<<

Some things are closed on Boxing day, but nothing that I know of is closed longer than that.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for more food for thought - and for reminding me of things to consider, including closures and availability of transportation. As I continue to think about this, I welcome suggestions about activities and places to stay.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 03:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd try the larger hotels in the Lake District, maybe in Bowness, Windermere or Ambleside. They'll all have festivities over the Christmas and New Year period and we've spent and enjoyed a number of 3 and 4 day breaks there at that time of the year. Depends on your budget, but there are a range of places to fit most pockets.

The scenery is spectacular and if you're lucky enough to get one of those cold, clear and sunny periods, you'll love it.

Last edited by Rubicund; Oct 14th, 2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 06:47 AM

>>if you're lucky enough to get one of those cold, clear and sunny periods, you'll love it.<< . . . and if you aren't lucky enough and the weather is awful, at least the hotel will be nice.