sleep in sete or montpellier?

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleep in sete or montpellier?

Anyone stayed in either of these towns? Looking for a hotel recommendation around E125 (For November)
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:19 PM
AR

Sete will be cold in November. Montpellier is a much better option. The city has a large university population and therefore has a good night atmosphere.
For 125 Euros, I would stay in the Sofitel which you can book on www.accor.com. I have stayed on business many times and have asked the locals to recommend a character hotel but they say that you are better off in the chains. The Sofitel is central with direct links into the shopping mall and just off the Place de la Comedie. Good places to eat include the Braserie du Theatre and la maison de la Lozere where they serve the speciality of the region - Aligot (but to me it will always be mashed potatoes).
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:03 PM

We stayed in Montpelier for five nights or so using it as a base for the area, and really liked the city. We went for "charm" and stayed at the Hotel du Midi. It wasn't so charming. We moved from the first room -- really awful to a better one. But I'd go for a Sofitel as mentioned above or something nicer and newer.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
AR

The Sofitel is the only 4 star hotel in Montpellier, so is the best hotel in town. It's also one of the newest.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:20 PM

I don't know why the weather would be much better in Montpellier than in Sète, since they are so close to each other, but my preference would be to stay in Montpellier, a lovely college town with all the attributes that that entails.

The hotel Le Guilhem at 18, rue Jean-Jacques-Rousseau is in the historic center, is quiet and attractive, with lovely owners and staff. It's been a few years since we stayed there, but it was a nice place for a good price.

Whatever you do, DON'T book at the Mas de Couran in Lattes, just outside Montpellier. Was there a couple of weeks ago, and it was a horror.

Sète, by the way, is an interesting place to visit, being the last of the "real" fishing villages on the French Mediterranean. But it brings with it all that one might expect of such a place - a bit of grit and squalor. Still, it has great sand beaches and a vigorous quaiside life.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 01:47 AM

Hi

Unless you are a real seafood groupie Montpellier is better. And I too would be as central as possible.

Good low cost dining at L'Entrecote off the Comedie, and visible from the tram stop.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Montpellier it is!