Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skopelos, good idea to go? What else is close by?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Skopelos a good place to go? How do you get there? Is there more than one option?
What is close by?
Not planning on renting a car. Want to travel by boat or ferry if at all possible, with a few cab rides thrown in.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Skopelos is in the island group Sporades, which also includes Skiathos and Alonissos. Two ways to get there are: flight to Skiathos plus a short ferry ride from there to Skopelos; or, bus from Athens to Agios Konstantinos and a ferry from there (which stops first at Skiathos) to Skopelos.

I've been to Skiathos, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but regrettably didn't take the short ferry ride to Skopelos. Skiathos is a busy island with an international airport, while Skopelos and Alonissos are quieter.

I would say Skopelos is definitely worth visiting, albeit harder to reach from Athens than some other islands.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info. I appreciate it. Anyone out there been to Skopelos or Alonissos? I like the idea of quieter.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:22 AM

I have been to all three (Skopelos, Alonissos, Skiathos). We spent a week on both Skopelos and Skiathos, and Alonissos was just a day trip from Skopelos. But that was ages ago (talking about 15+ years ago, so I can only say what it was like ages ago). In those days Skiathos was "the tourist place". Skopelos was lovely and quiet, a week of total relaxation. Tourists were counted in tens, not in hundreds or thousands, more like old hippies. Everybody nodded and said Good Morning and Good Night. And so on. Alonissos was a real periphery. One of the best fish meals I have had in my life (it must have been since I still remember it). So if I would now seek a relaxing place, I think I would head to Alonissos.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM

And we went to Skopelos by boat from Skiathos. And to Skiathos by boat from Volos in the mainland. To Volos we went by car from Athens. A rented one that could be left in Volos.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:36 AM

Agios Konstantinos is much closer to Athens than Volos.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM

We have visited all of the Sporades many times, but perhaps not for five years, so I am certain things have changed. We have ferried to them from Agios Konstantnos with a car, stayed in Skiathos, and ferried over with the car to Skopelos, and even Alonosos. Other times we have flown from Athens. A car us really not necessary on these islands--just a nice convenience when we reached senior citizen status! I prefer the greener isles to the Cyclades,and hope to spend some time either in that island group or the Ionions in 2012. Skiathos is very crowded in the summer, Skopelos is much less so-- Tourism may have picked up some since the Mama Mia movie, but it still should be very relaxing. If you are from the USA you will be hard pressed to see other Americans there. Years ago there was hydrofoil service to Skryos Island and Evia where one could take a bus to Athens. That was a great service. Since you need to arrive through Skiathos, why not spend two days there, and then head for beautiful, quieter Skopelos? They are quite close to each other. There are two ports in Skopelos, so I would suggest the stop in the main town, instead of the shorter ride to Glossa. You then can bus about the island to the beaches from the Skopelos town. It is a beautiful town set on a hill side.