Daytrips to Islands from Athens?

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytrips to Islands from Athens?

Any recommendations for daytrips to the nearby islands from Athens? I will be there in late May 2005.

I am more interested in beauty/culture/scenery than in upscale/trendy. Swimming would be a plus. And an overnight trip to an island with nice family style tavernas, restuarants on the beach, late night eating.... that would be great. Of course, then I would need a hotel recommendation on that island (simple and plain is fine).

Thanks! I love all the wonderful posts to this board.

Rick in Maryland
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:51 AM

We took a day trip to Aegina last Sept.
It took about 45 minutes on the ferry. There is an interesting, very small chapel at the harbor, and the Temple of Aphaia is reachable by public bus.
People were swimming and there were many small restaurants. We spent a very nice day there.

Have fun. Greece is great!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Hi Rick from Maryland....

The best Islands to get to from Athens for a short trip are the Saronic islands of Aegina,Poros, Spetes and Hydra. All can be reached by hydrofoil from Piraeus. There is also a " 3 island" day cruise that takes in Aegina/Poros/Spetse which would give you a "taster" of Greek Island life. If you wanted to stay overnight I would suggest either going to Hydra - this is the most dramatic island - or Poros. Hydar is a haven for artists , has no traffic, and is incredibly beautiful. However it is not cheap - it is very trendy and upscale and therefore expensive. A more traditional island is Poros which has a really nice harbour and lots of tavernas but little in the way of ancient culture.
Check out www.greecead.com/gadhome/destinations_saronic
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Late May is very nice season to visit the islands and the temperature will (most probably)be good for swimming.
You will not have problem in finding hotel accommodation.

Proposals: the most popular island near Athens is Hydra and it is about 1 1/2 hour by speed boat as well as Spetses. These two are the more touristy.

If you have enough time to spend you can go from the one island to the other without returning to Athens.

These islands are: Aegina, Agistri, Poros, Hydra, Spetses.

In all of them you will find tavernas and restaurants very near the sea. As far as it concerns late night eating, this is our habit in Greece. In every island there are places to eat late.

If you need more information please contact me.

Have a nice holiday and hope you enjoy Greece.
(the planning time of a holiday is as beautiful as it is the real vacation time).

Katerina
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -- you all have provided the exact type of information that is so very helpful. (Katarina, efkharistos!

Hydra/Idhra sounds good, and I have been reading about it. I think I may do it.

In Hydra will I see any of the "postcard" Greek views... colorful fishing boats in a harbor; tavernas with lights near the water; late night dining and music; country-houses, etc. The reason for this is that I have my heart set on at least visiting one island like that. If Hydra will fulfill that, great!!

I am also interested in recommendations for an educated (archaeology/history/culture/arts) tourguide that I could hire for one or two days in Athens (to give more than just the standard tourist talk). I will post that separately.

Thanks again for everything.

Rick