Skiathos or Skopelos?

Old May 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiathos or Skopelos?

Anyone out there who can help with Skiathos/Skopelos?

We'll be in Volos the end of June, with just a couple of days available for a side trip (2 nights?) Would anyone receommend one island over the other? We're looking to relax, rent a small boat, enjoy the water...

Also, would you recommend booking the ferry and accomodations ahead of time? Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM

I wish I could help. At least I now know where the are, after looking them up on Google Earth.

Perhaps someone on this forum has actually been to one or the other.

Old May 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I've been to Skiathos and liked it, but if you want less of a commercial summer scene then Skopelos would be a better choice.
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Skiathos has an international airport, bringing lots of package holidaymakers, particularly in July and August. It has a lively chora at one end, and one of the best beaches in Greece at the other. In between are some quieter beach resorts, e.g. Troulos.

Skopelos is the next stop on the ferry after Skiathos, has less to offer, but is more suited to someone looking for a quiet, laid-back holiday.

I haven't been to Skopelos, but loved Skiathos. It's a very cosmopolitan island, and has many prominent visitors. When I was there the Sultan of Brunei's yacht was in the harbor, and a former U.S. president had visited the week before.

Booking isn't essential in June, but if you know your days of travel and want the security, go ahead and book in advance.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:10 AM

Hi Jenn - I spent a fortnight in Skiathos (- Koukounaries) in June and loved it.

Great beaches nearby - and Skiathos town is lovely in the evening.

I visited Skopelos as a day-trip - but would return to Skiathos in a heartbeat.

Steve

Old May 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM

I have spent a week on both, but that was a long time ago, so I suppose neither is the same any more. In those days there were not too many tourists on Skiathos either. But anyway, I would choose Skopelos.
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Skopelos.
Easy to get to via ferry from Volos through Skiathos. And then, on to Alonissos - even better - quaint, quiet, a sweet port town, great hiking and a marine park.. lots of dolphin.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Agree 100% with Elina. I spent a week in each in 1985.
We had a 2 year old with us and my memories of Skopelos are more of the quieter kind which I prefered to Skiathos. I remember that they were selling cocktails in the waterfront restaurants in Skiathos which I thought was lifting the island into a league of its own.
We were there in September and the wasps in Skiathos were numerous. We had to teach our daughter to close her mouth immediately after putting her food in to stop her eating them. She still got stung but luckily not in her mouth.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Skiathos is the more cosmopolitan of the two islands, very busy at the height of the summer season. Many hotels, some wonderful beaches, such as Koukounaries, one of the best in Greece.

Skopelos is a much larger island, very green. The beaches are smaller, farther apart and there are fewer tourists. Personally I think one needs a car on Skopelos.

Alonissos, the third island in the chain, is the quietest of the three and in some ways the loveliest. There is a small port town and a second town at the top of the island(spectacular views). When we first went there, the town at the top was in ruins, but it is now filled with restaurants and cafes.

If you have time, visit all three...they are all wonderful in their own way. You do need a car...the beaches on Skopelos and Alonissos in particular are far apart.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM

I've been to both and both are lovely in their own way!
batisl described very good the island so it depends on what you want.
Although for only two nights i would go to Skiathos which is the closest to Volos.
For the end of June i think you'll have no problem finding transfer and accomodation once you get there but do you really want to spend even 1 hour of your short side trip trying to find a place to sleep?