To book ahead in June/July?

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To book ahead in June/July?

We are planning to tour mainland Greece and southern Italy for 4 weeks in late June/ July. We would like to have a fairly loose itinery, so would prefer not to book hotels ahead of time. Will this cause us problems at this time of year? We would be mostly looking at mid-range hotels/ B&B type accommodation.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Yes !
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:08 AM

We spent about four weeks in Greece in June two years ago traveling to six islands. We booked everything ahead, and they were what I'd call three star mid-range type hotels. I can tell you this. Every hotel we stayed at was fully booked. In Santorini at the Loucas we were amused that every single time we went in or out through the lobby area, someone was there trying to get a room with no luck. I'm not saying you won't find a place. But I'm also not guessing how much time you might need to "waste" in your searching at each place. And I hope you are not "picky" about the atmosphere or quality of the places you stay. If you only care about a place to sleep, you'll be fine, I'm sure.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi Tad,

You are going in High Season. Everyone else will be booking ahead.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Since Greece is hosting the Olympics in August, it's bound to be very crowded most of the summer. I'd head elsewhere, if you can.

And if you're serious about Italy, you'd better check it out now. Late June/July is prime time in Italy, and most people book way ahead.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Peak season in Italy starts around the middle of July when Italian families go on holiday. In a normal year, Greece will be the same. I've certainly been to Italy, Greece and the Croatian coast in June and early July, and found accommodation with no difficulty.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 08:22 AM

It depends on what you want in accomodations. You can almost always find a place with a roof to sleep--but it might not be at the price you want, or in the location you want, or have the amenities you want. And it might take a good deal of wandering about to find a place. But you can almost always find something.