Search

ski in germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ski in germany

We used to ski at switzerland (St Moritz and Zermatt)every year at january. We would like to change to Germany this year. What places you would recommend , with nice hotels and intense apres ski ?Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM

You'll be disappointed in Germany. I've skied both St. Moritz and Zermatt (the first almost every year in the past 10 years) and wouldn't bother to go on a ski trip to anywhere in Germany even though I am a German resident. Day trips for skiing, two days, yes, but not more.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberstdorf are the only two places with skiing and apres-ski worth to mention. But again, not in the slightest comparable to Zermatt or St. Moritz.

I.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM

The mountains in Germany aren't high enough to provide the range of skiing options the resorts in Austria, Switzerland and France offer. Maybe Austria will suit you better.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM

I agree with others' comments on Germany, and second the Austria option. Look particularly at Ischgl and St. Anton. The last time I was in Ischgl (March 2007) the riotous apres-ski had quieted down considerably from years previous, though many of the hotels are really elegant. We stayed at Piz Tasna and found it to be excellent in all respects. I understand that the St. Anton night life would still qualify as "intense" but I haven't stayed there. We did ski Lech a few years ago and found it to be disappointing.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

To everybody:I deeply appreciate your interest and generosity !
Thanks a million .It was a BIG help .Warmest regards.