Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sitges Spain - Daytrip from Barcelona - Questions!

Old Feb 14th, 2019, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodor Forum Friends,
While working on details of my April 2019 trip to Barcelona, I have some questions that I couldn't find answers for yet.
We are planning a day trip to Sitges (probably 1/2 a day).
Question #1: The plan is to travel by train but I noticed that there might be a ferry called the BlueMar or BlueCat ferry. Does anyone know if it still runs between Barcelona and Sitges, and if it runs in April?
Question #2: Trying to get a sense of the size of the place. Walking time from the train station to the beach / Passeig Maritim?
Question #3: Besides walking around the city and beach area, any specific recommendations? Sites to see, stores, restaurants?
Thank You!
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about the ferry, but the trains are quick and frequent. Sitges doesn't (IMO) have that much to recommend it and unless you have a particular reason for going there there are many other places that I'd prefer. It's a smallish resort town, easily walkable but nothing stands out. There are lots of bars and restaurants but very touristy and the food reflects that. Google describes it as:

Sitges is a coastal town in Spain's Catalonia region, southwest of Barcelona, backed by the mountainous Parc Natural del Garraf. It's known for its Mediterranean beaches and seafront promenade lined with grand mansions. The compact old town and surrounding streets are filled with shops, restaurants, and many gay bars and nightclubs. The Maricel Museum and Cau Ferrat Museum showcase Catalan and other Spanish art.

The ferry is: https://www.clorian.com/site/BlueMar/?lang=en

Last edited by Rubicund; Feb 15th, 2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 08:26 AM

sitges is also known as a primo gay resort!
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 08:52 AM

The ferry was closed and in bankruptcy for a while, but emerged and is operating. Problem is that it doesn't run in winter or early Spring, it doesnt start until May anyway.

It's within 0.5 to 1 km from the train station to the coastline.
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rubicund View Post
Sitges doesn't (IMO) have that much to recommend it and unless you have a particular reason for going there there are many other places that I'd prefer.
Would love to hear a few of the other places that you would recommend for an easy 1/2 day trip from Barcelona using trains (other than Montserrat and Girona). Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 02:28 AM

If you're a Cava fan, try San Sadurni d'Anoia and visit one of the Cava wineries in the town. Fascinating and impressive, I'd recommend Juve y Camps. There's also Tarragona, lovely port beyond Sitges. Google describes it as:

Tarragona is a port city in northeastern Spain’s Catalonia region. Many ancient ruins remain from its time as the Roman colony of Tarraco. The Amfiteatre Romà is a 2nd-century arena facing the Mediterranean, the Necropolis contains Roman tombs, and traces of the Forum stand among the alleys of the walled, medieval Old Town. A walkway along the ramparts, the Passeig Arqueològic, has sweeping views of the city.

If you head North instead, try Blanes. It's a small seaside place like Sitges, but much more pleasant.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 07:07 AM

Figueras, about an hour north of Barcelona by train has the Dali Museum and is a nice regional town too:

https://www.google.com/search?q=figu...iw=639&bih=613
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 01:58 AM

Yes, I forgot about Figueres. The Dali museum is fantastic, much better than the one in Barcelona and well worth the trip north. Alternatively there's Tossa de Mar, a place that was very popular with tourists 20 years ago but has a nice old town to wander around.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 05:00 PM

Just in case you didn't leave yet...
#1 - the ferries don't work anymore
#2 - your best bet is to take the train or a bus. Walking time from the train station to the beach is 10-15min
#3 - if you're just doing a 1/2-1 day trip from Barcelona (which is fine) - just walk around the old town, the beaches, have a nice lunch at the beach etc. There are some museums to visit as well, but the charming atmosphere is the best thing. My favorite cafe is the PicNic, right at the beach.
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 04:23 AM

I'd probably need more than 1/2 day to travel to, explore and get back from places like Girona or Tarragona.
In case you don't want to travel far but still want to get away from the bustling central areas of Barcelona, the outer districts can have a totally different vibe than "downtown" Barcelona.

One possible itinerary could be to take FGC train L6 from Catalunya to Reina Elisanda + bus (or + 10-15 min walk) to Pedralbes monastery.
Visit the monastery - not really many tourists go there, IMO.
Walk back (or take bus) to Reina Elisanda station and walk down Carrer Major to explore Sarria. Which feels like a small town, but still has many places to eat or have a coffee.
Exploring Sarria would end at Sarria FGC station, where you can take an outbound S1 or S2 (and no other than one of those two lines) suburban train for one stop to Peu de Funicular.
Take the funicular for one stop to Carretera de les Aigües.
Walk the "carretera", which turns into a pedestrian and cyclists-only road after a few meters. And keep walking until you reach the shortcut to walk down to the lower funicular station of Tibidabo. You have panoramic views of all of Barcelona the whole way (may take 1 - 1.5 hrs to walk).
Several restaurants and cafes with a view at the Tibidabo funicular station.
Walk down Av. Tibidabo to see the fairy tale mansions walking downhill (or take the bus or the historic Tramvia Blau (extra fare) if you're done with walking) to catch a L7 FGC train at Av. Tibidabo station back to Catalunya.
All trains, buses and the funicular to Carretera de les Aigües are part of the integrated fare system, so you don't need more than the T-10 ticket or a TMB day ticket. The tramvia would require an extra ticket, though, but can be avoided by using the bus.
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 08:25 AM

Montserrat - top pilgrimage site - is great - short train ride from Barcelona and cable car to the top of a mountain the old monastery with revered Black Madonna (?) in the church - nice walks such as the path of the cross.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 03:05 AM

Noticed the reference to Blanes in this post. Tried to determine how long it takes to get there by train. Went on Trainline which has pop ups for Blanes but every time I put it in as destination from Barcelona it comes up "no trains" Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get to Blanes from Barcelona by train? Thanks.