Sintra and Cascais in One Day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying in Lisbon. Can you/should you do a day trip that involves going to both Sintra and Cascais? If so, what would you recommend in way of transportation/timing/sights/lunch?
Thanks, glenn
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Would suggest Sintra as one day trip, and Cascais (maybe stopping at Cabo da Roca for the stunning views) as another trip. The train from Lisbon is quick, convenient and not that expensive. You might even be able to add Belem as part of your trip to Cascais if you get an early start. Don't forgot to indulge in the pastries in Belem! Oh so good!!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:35 AM

It is technically possible to do Sintra and Cascais in one day, but I would not recommend it. However, if you are really pressed for time, you could set out from Lisbon early enough for Sintra. Cover Pena Palace and a few other sights at Sintra, and then catch the bus to Cascais (which stops at Cabo da Rocha on the way), and get to Cascais by 6 pm or so. Loiter for a few hours in Cascais, and catch a train back to Lisbon.

However, if you have more time available, try to combine Belem with Cascais (Cascais is only 30 minutes by train from Belem), and leave Sintra & Cabo da Rocha for another day.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:41 AM

For timings, sightseeing ideas etc, read the last few days of our trip report below, when we covered Sintra, Cascais etc.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM

We arrived in Sintra from Lisbon on the train at 11:30 and BARELY saw all three palaces by closing time (and this included my eating my lunch on the run - I basically ate it while walking to the Moorish Castle from the bus). I think we got back at 6ish. And we were exhausted as there is lots of uphill walking even with the buses. Definitely dont plan on anything but Sintra for one day - even if you get there earlier than we did, you'll feel too rushed and tired.

We went to Cascais by train another day and that took all day as well bc we hit three beaches - Gincho (the prettiest), a smaller beach near the train station in Cascais, and then Estoril on the way back to Lisbon. Cascais and Gincho are so pretty, you don't want to rush it. I would have loved to have spent even more time at Gincho beach.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM

You could combine Cascais easily with Estoril as you can walk between them.
I would go to Sintra on a separate day.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM

bookmark
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Don't miss the cliffs at Boca do Inferno right outside of Cascais. You can sit out on the rocks and watch the blowholes spew. There's also a little artisana market at the same place.

Sintra has a great outdoor market on weekends. The drive through the hills above Sintra is a beautiful drive w/ lots of gorgeous estates and views (go right past Byron's place)