Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels- Saint Jacques,Hotel deux-isles, or Hotel Saint Louis?

Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

I can't decide between these 3 Paris hotels- even after great amount of research. The Isle de Saint Louis sounds like a great location. However the Latin quarter sounds nice as well. I am wondering if anyone who has stayed at these hotels can advise. Thanks.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:04 AM

I can only answer regarding the Deux Iles. The location, in my opinion, is among the best in the city. The hotel is quiet at night and from there you can walk to many if not most of the major points of tourist interest. I am not, however, enamored of the eating places on the Ile. The room I had the last time was quite small and most of the sleeping space was taken up by a bed and a desk/chair.

Despite these last two points, I would recommend the hotel because of the superb location.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM

I have stayed at Duex Iles and it's sister Hotel Lutuce. Both are small botique type hotels. They are a little modern than the Hotel St Louis. Rooms and baths are small. Desk personnal are helpful and speak English. The best thing about the hotels on Ile St Louis is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Ile St. Louis or Ile de la Cite both make great base locations. It is like living in a village inthe middle of a bustling city. There is a lot of daytime activity there but it clears out at night and is very quiet. It's my favorite area in Paris,
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I'd agree with the comments on the Deux-Iles. Location wise, it is very good. You will be in an area with lower traffic at night, with a niehgbourhood feel, yet you are a short walking distance to Notre Dame, Left Bank, Right Bank, RER station,etc..And the short walk to the bridges over the Seine and the abnks of the river, some nice scenery.

Main street has good shops for food, wine, chocolate,etc..

I do think there are some good restaurants in the island, I liked Caveau de L'ile, Brasserie de L'Ile St Louis, and used to go regularly to Reine Blanche (but it has changed hands). They also give walking tours of the Island since it has been home to many important people (Madame Curie, Rothschilds,prime ministers..). there are also concerts some nights at the church...
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I stayed at Hotel des Deux Iles, Hotel de Lutece, and Hotel Saint Louis. All are wonderfully located in my opinion but I like the Saint Louis the best. Lutece renovated their rooms after I stayed there. Deux Iles and Saint Louis have very simple rooms with the Saint Louis having holey bedspreads in a couple of rooms yet newly renovated bathrooms. Why I like the Saint Louis best is due to the hotel helpful, welcoming staff.
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
blh

I can only recommend the Saint Jacques. We thought it was a very good small hotel, very conveniently located. Our room was on the top floor and was very small as was the bathroom. I would recommend getting one of the larger rooms. I love the Isle location as well. So I don't think you would go wrong with any of these choices.