Single vs. double rooms

Mar 12th, 2001, 09:59 AM
KenR

Single vs. double rooms

Can anyone tell me teh difference between single and double rooms in Italian Hotels, other than the obvious? In other words, will a single room be comfortable enough for two people and will Italian hotels rent two people a single?

Thanks!

Mar 12th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Lesli

A single room generally contains one single bed, and is therefore suitable for single occupancy only. (They are also usually quite small.) For these reasons, it is usually not possible to book a single room for two people, even if you were willing to squeeze in.

A double room contains a double bed and is designed to accomodate two people. A twin room is also for two, but with two twin beds.

Mar 12th, 2001, 12:32 PM
coco

While I have seen single rooms that COULD accommodate 2, this would never work as you would then be charged for a double. It's more a question of occupancy!

Mar 12th, 2001, 01:57 PM
elaine

Hi
They're right. And the occasional single rooms I've been in have been excruciatingly small.
When asking for a room for two,
specify that you want one bed
(which will be full-sized, not a queen size unless you are in a luxury or American-style hotel) as opposed to two.
You'll also need to specify
a bathtub if you want a tub or a shower if you want a shower; many bathrooms in economy hotels offer one OR the other.

Mar 12th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Brenda

In many Italian Hotels, a "double" room will have 2 beds (usually a twin), so if you want to sleep together you need to be specific in your request. And they use the terminology 'matrimoniale' bed to mean 1 bed for 2 people (no, it doesn't refer to your marital state, although that clearly is derivation of the word).

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:56 AM
dd

...when I asked this question people ripped my head off...

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
xxx

well, dd, was that because you're the one who asked if the Italians are so "anal" that they would frown on it? You already knew that a single was for one person but seemed to want to cheat the place and sneak in two people for the price of one. That's different from this post, which seems to sincerely want to know if single means one person or single bed?