Single Mama & Four Year Old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling in June and July with my four year old; just the two if us.

We are well-travelled and are currently living abroad; but our travels have usually put us in one place, and this trip we are going from London to France to Italy for over 6 weeks (maybe longer!) -- each stop is a minimum of 3 nights and most are 7-9 days/nights.

My daughter has this small Skip Hop rolling luggage that fits ALL of her clothes, shoes, etc.:
http://www.skiphop.com/zoo-kids-rolling-luggage

In addition, she has a small kid's backpack for her ipad, headphones, colouring books, etc.

I'm bringing a very lightweight umbrella stroller.

And for myself; I have a 25" suitcase. I can use this or try to size down to an expandable 21".

I'll also be bringing a tote for the plan as a carry-on.

Is the common consensus that less is more?

Thanks,

M
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:32 AM

Are you going by car or train/bus between places? That would make a big difference in how much luggage you should drag around. I certainly wouldn't want to try getting on a train with multiple bags, a stroller and a small child. You can't expect there to be a nice person willing and able to help you, either.

How did you handle luggage on previous trips?
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I want to see Europe via train, and I'm a single mama, so I'm looking at the best options for myself. Travelling via train with multiple bags and a 4-year old isn't ideal, but it's certainly doable -- it's finding the best approach.

We are travelling via train, bus and plane.

My daughter's bag will stack/sit/connect to the top of my bag which ideal because when I'm travelling I can lift one and then the other into overhead compartments.

I've done a TON of plane travel to single destinations and depending on length of time we take a 25" or 30" with 2 carry-ons... but this trip there will be much more 'travel'.

It'll look like this:

My bag -- 25" or 21" roller
Her bag -- small roller (attached to the top of My bag)

Stroller -- with her backpack in the basket

My personal tote -- on my shoulder

I can easily push her umbrella stroller (with one hand) whilst pushing the baggage beside me with the other. I'm guessing that most will say 21" luggage size is better than 25".

Also, I'm 5'11" and athletic/strong -- I can pick up 40lbs easily.

Has anyone done this kind of travel before? Am I on the right track??

Words of encouragement are more than welcome!
Old May 10th, 2016, 06:57 AM

Pack the bags the way you plan to for the trip. Try getting everything, including stroller and child, up three or four narrow steps, as if getting into a train carriage. See how much time it takes.

You aren't going to be able to get everything in at the same time. So, where do you start? Probably the child, but I doubt you could lift the stroller with her in it, so that's two separate things. Then you have the child and stroller on the train, but the bags are still outside. Who keeps an eye on the child while you go back out to pick up the bags?

I guess you could lift the bags up first, but then they'd block the way unless you took the time to drag them aside, leaving your child alone outside.

And while this is going on there will be other travellers getting irritated because you are taking so much time.

This all, of course, assumes that there will be no luggage thieves or other nasty people around.

But maybe I'm too much of a pessimist and it will all work out ok. Surely there must be many single parents who have travelled with small children. I'd Google it, but I'm afraid of what my YouTube and Amazon pages would recommend next time I went there. I still get weird recs from the time I looked something up to show my niece.
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:03 AM

I would infinitely prefer to do such a trip with a car.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm doing the trip by train. Car might be easier, but I want to spend time with my daughter instead of concentrating on driving and directions.

And I think I can carry everything, at the same time, as follows:

1. The umbrella stroller collapses and I can put in on my shoulder -- it's like 11 Lbs, very light.

2. My daughter could walk in front of me with her with her backpack on.

3. I could carry both of our bags, one in each hand - her's is 17" and less than 10lbs, and mine, well, it seems like the 21" is best.

Yes, we might get in the way, and yes, some might get irritated, and yes, it might be a bit cumbersome, but surely we are not the first single mama/daughter team to travel Europe via train??!
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- I am confused what exactly you are asking?

It seems you just want 'words of encouragement'.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

My initial ask was suitcase size - 25" or size down to 21".

My other ask was - has anyone done a similar trip like this.

And I'm looking for general feedback/words of encouragement.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:41 AM

I haven't done this, but I'm thinking a backpack for you might be easier than a suitcase. You'll have your hands free to help your daugher on/off the train, along with stroller and her bag.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:46 AM

One thing that might help is if you go first class. There might be a few less people trying to get into those cars. You might also try and avoid getting on/off trains during rush hour...but that will take a careful study of schedules.

I think your plan is doable, but it does mean you'll have luggage left momentarily in the train or on the platform and you won't have eyes on it. That would be my only concern. If you're slowing people down the few times you get on and off a train...then they need to slow down a bit, take a breath...and HELP you. If they get angry, then let them. Your time with your daughter is more important than the brief delay you'll cause.

Enjoy the trip!
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Travelling by train will require you to get ALL luggage, backpacks, stroller, you and child on a train in VERY short order in some cases as has been pointed out above. So, I think you need to think in those terms.
Pare down your 25" for sure. You might need to think about a backpack type of luggage with wheels?
OR pack you and daughter in the 25" so you have one piece of luggage and backpacks for each.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:49 AM

We also traveled with our daughter when she was your daughter's age and younger. It's not as easy as you imagine because you need to keep a hand on her at all times. There are too many security issues to let her walk ahead and risk her being cut off from you, lost in a crowd, or something worse.
Always put a slip of paper in her pocket with your contact info in case you are separated.
I would try to get both your daughter and your clothes into one suitcase. If you aren't rushing from one place to the next, you will have time to do laundry. You don't need much in the way of clothes ifyou are ok with handwashing and wearing the same thing.
Take a backpack for yourself because you will need it when you're out and about exploring and for snacks and personal items while on the move.
Get your daughter a small backpack as oppposed to the suitcase. You can even get a little one with wheels so you can pull it if needed.

This way you have:
One hand for your shared suitcase
One hand for your daughter (DON'T LET GO OF HER in busy places like train stations EVER)
She can wear her backpack, you wear yours.
Not sure about the stroller but hopefully it can lay across the suitcase or over your shoulder.

Sounds like such a fabulous trip!!! Good for you.
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:03 AM

I have not done it but I think Gretchen may have a good idea -- keep the 25 inch bag but put both your stuff in it. That way you have one bag, not two to deal with. If you think you can pare down to 22 inches for yourself, that should be do-able. I have seen people with suitcase upon suitcase when they have the ability to latch onto a bigger one and can't imagine it is easy nor could you navigate that well with the train. Maybe in an airport, you could. But you add this stroller on top of that and sounds too much.

Is she not capable of even wearing that small packback when you are in transit? It isn't going to hold much, I don't know why she couldn't. Then you would only have to deal with one suitcase and the stroller, and the child, of course. And you mention another totebag for yourself. If that is small and softsided, that could possibility go over the handle of your bigger suitcase OR you yourself get a backpack for that totebag.

I am fairly capable and strong, also, and handle a 25 incher plus totebag when I travel without problem. Although I admit I can't imagine throwing in a stroller and child, just leave yourself plenty of time and take it easy. Most people are indeed very helpful. Even when I don't ask for it and could get by on my own, a lot of times someone comes along and even helps me a bit, unasked. Most people are really nice and with a child, I'm sure they will be, especially.

I myself prefer one large bag to dealing with two smaller ones. This is personal preference, though, some people like the reverse.
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Francewithfive -- thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like you're suggesting the following:

25" suitcase for her and I (pack together).
Small backpack for her.
Tote for me.
Lay stoller on suitcase (yes, totally workable).

This way I can hold her hand and carry/roll the suitcase with one hand.

Great idea!!

I'm going to re-think my strategy.

Thanks again!

M
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Agree that this trip would be MUCH easier with a car than by train.

I just can;t see how you can get all of that stuff onto and out of the train while keeping your hand on your child (carrying her up and down in the stroller is not really going to work).

Sorry - I think it is just WAY too dangerous to take your hand off a child that young in a train station or on a train - even for a moment. It's just way too easy for her to dart off - or even be lured off with the promise of an ice cream or whatever.

If you are determined to do this by train I would bag the stroller and just make up your mind that your travel will be limited by her walking pace and endurance. And then you may be able to get off and on the train in one step (luggage - your bag and her bag on top - and her wearing her little back pack.

You will still be relying on the good will of strangers to help you maneuver the luggage up those steep narrow steps - and may have to face irritation from others you are delaying - esp of the the train's stop there is short.
Old May 10th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

My daughter can carry her own backpack easily! ANd I would never need to carry her in her stroller, she can walk up stairs no problem.

We are currently living in the Dominican Republic and we are VERY safety conscious; she's used to staying close, holding onto me, and being aware of strangers/danger.

I won't sacrifice the stroller; as a single parent sometimes my only 'me time' is going out for a long walk, it's my therapy and I cherish it. And, I'm determined to do this by train.

I can take ONE SUITCASE (share a 25" spinner and I'll be sure to pack light/stay under 35lbs), we can take ONE BAG each (she can carry hers and I can carry mine) and I can bring the stroller and put it on the suitcase or carry it when needed -- it's only 15lbs and will be a lifesaver when she needs to rest.
http://uppababy.com/g-luxe/overview/

I really appreciate the feedback. I think I'm thinking this trip through better.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM

On the topic of trains and planes - where are you taking planes? London to Paris is best by Eurostar train - www.eurostar.com for cheap advance fares - Paris to Italy is a long daytime train ride I would avoid in your case but there is a direct overnight train to Venice from Paris - tickets as cheap as 59 euros if booked in advance including sleeping berth and blankets, etc. Bring any food and beverage you like aboard - private cabins for two cost more but you save on the cost of a hotel. www.thello.com for night train details. Sites with good info on trains in general - www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I agree with Wekiva - go first class where there is a lot more room in the train car - many trains now have family rooms (in either class) where kids have things to play with, etc.

Cars are nice but it is a long drive to Italy from Paris if you want to go straight thru - and in Italy cars are Verboten in most cities these days - private vehicles that is - a complete hassle - but if staying in say Agro-tourism or whatever they call farm stays or smaller towns a car is great but only if you want to tool around the area.

What do you plan to do with 7-9 days in each stop? Curious
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

I just looked at our itinerary again, and the only plane trip so far is from Canada to London (but we'll fly to Spain from Naples if our trip is extended).

Upon arrival we spend a few nights/days in London and then take the Eurostar to Paris where will spend 7 days.

From Paris we are taking the train south to visit family friends at their home, and then we are off to Nice for just 3 nights before heading to Milan just for 1 night... then we are off to Lucca for 6 days, Florence for another 6 days, and then Rome for 9 days. From there, it's the Amalfi Coast for 10 days. One accommodation reservation for each stop.

I haven't decided exactly what we'll do at each location... maybe daytrips or maybe just walking, restaurants, gelato, parks and wine for me. I'm relaxed and absolutely do not need to see everything. Just being immersed in another 'world' makes me so happy.
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:35 AM

I like that you want to be with your daughter. I think you can do it, but with some adjustments as she is changing from toddler to little girl. Be open to advice that seems negative. You may discard it in the end, but do consider it.

We started traveling with our Grandaughter when she was four, and years ago with our own two when they were very little, so a bit of experience. Frankly, age 4 was hardest. GD started to miss home after a couple of weeks even though her Mom was with us, she still missed her own bed, toys, familiar food, friends, etc. Just be prepared for that to happen. I was glad the first long trip was only 13 days.

Get one of those harnesses with a sturdy strap for little kids. Some are also backpacks with a harness and strap. It adds a measure of safety in crowds, at stations, along open walkways, etc.

Eliminate absolutely everything possible. Does your DD really need an iPod, etc? GD has never had one. She does take her favorite doll though. That leads to conversation with other adults and other children. Take markers, paper, etc. that can be ditched and replaced as needed, something to keep little hands busy. At 4, GD loved those tiny little plastic kits of card board dolls with lots of magnetic clothes. They usually have two or more dolls, so she could play with another child.

Agree with ditching the stroller. It seems so popular now, but those bag seats are super uncomfortable for older children, many places in Europe are not stroller friendly (lots and lots of steps in some places, cobblestones, etc.) and you might end up carrying it more than you think. In the end, toting it around may be more inconvenient than helpful, especially for such a long trip by train. Our GD stopped traveling with a stroller when she was 3 and our two by about 3 & 4. We did use the harnesses for crowded places.

Plan ahead and find playgrounds, pools, parks, etc. for your DD to run about, see other children, etc. You might meet and chat with other parents too. With our own, in Europe, at least once every other day or so, we spent an entire afternoon at some wonderful playground or park with a lake or public swimming pool. We do the same with our GD. She loves water, so pools and beaches are a favorite.
In Paris, we rented little boats for the kids to sail on a pond and had picnics in parks. In Germany, we went to beautiful public pools and also lakes and streams. In The Netherlands, they clumped around in wooden shoes and enjoyed Madurodam. In Austria, we found fabulous playgrounds. I am not up to date on these, but others will be, so when you have your itinerary more set, you can get advice about that.
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Good for you! Your trip sounds great and you should definitely do it. I have not traveled alone with a child but have traveled with two kids (and husband). Based on my experience with train travel and kids, I would do the following:

- One rolling suitcase for you both. As small as you can manage. Make sure wheels roll well.
- Big backpack for you.
- Small backpack for your daughter but keep the backpack in your bag until you get on the train. otherwise too many bags to manage. kids take them off unexpectedly.
- Small cross body purse for wallet and tickets
- Light stroller that can be pushed with one hand. The Uppa stroller you linked to will require two hands. I would find one with a bar across the back so that you can push the stroller with one hand and suitcase with the other.

I too would prefer to take trains rather than worry about driving, bringing a carseat, etc. Kids tend to like the trains too. And I agree to definitely take the stroller. you will both be happier if your daughter has a place to rest. you might want to bring an ipad for long train trips.

I'd strap your daughter into the stroller when you are in train stations and leave a lot of extra time to find the elevators or a porter to help you (budgeting some extra money for that service). We used a stroller and traveled by train with our daughters around Italy. While some train stations did not have elevators, it was rare in our experience. If you find the stroller unmanageble at each destination, just leave it at your hotel.

I would not be deterred by the comments above about about people being annoyed with you taking too much time to get on the train. Yes, that happens once in a while but who cares? Most people are kind and helpful and if they are too selfish to help out a single mom lift a suitcase, they aren't worth a second thought.

You will do great. just pack light and leave a lot of time and some extra money to make things as easy as possible for yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -