Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Singing gondoliers? More information available?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before flaming the poor turnip please know that I have searched the message boards but have been unavailable to find any real answers to what I'm looking for. It may be that the answers aren't to be found till I get to Venice.

We are taking my Mother on her 1st ever trip to Italy, which has always been a dream of her's. She especially wants to see Venice and enjoy a gondola ride. I want to treat her to a singing gondola ride at sunset the last night of our holiday. She is a HUGE Andrea Bocelli fan. Some of his songs still make her tear up every time she hears them. From what I can deduce from the message board, finding the right gondolier, especially a singing one seems to be a rather hit or miss proposition.

Any suggestions for finding a good singing goldolier, specifically one that might sing her a little "Con Te Patiro" or the like on our ride? I just know it would be a highlight of her trip and a memory she'll always cherish. I realize it won't be cheap and some may call it "touristy", but this is something I would love to be able to arrange for her.

Ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance, the turnip
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Hi
People here may have suggestions, but I'll bet your hotel front desk can help.
They are bound to know someone.
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Hi, turnip!
It's been a long time since I was in Venice, but my memory is that there was no shortage of singing gondoliers, and the standard was remarkably high. We had a locanda looking out onto one of the side canals, and I recall lying in bed listening as, one after another, the gondoliers all sailed past, each new voice supplanting the one that was just fading into the distance. My suggestion is that you spend the SECOND last night of the holiday walking and listening; when you hear the voice that you think your mother will love, get his registration number (or whatever) and, the next day, ask the gondoliers standing around waiting for custom to help you track him down.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Bootman4U

Don't let yourself be talked out of this by the SnobPolice...its your money and your vacation (they're just jealous anyway). Try this website..if you haven't already..may give you a few insights.
http://www.europeforvisitors.com/ven...by_gondola.htm

Old May 5th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I agree with the above posts. But beware, not all gondoliers sing. We just went, and although we asked before we got in, and he said of course he sings, be assured he did not. He did, however, hum a bit for us, so I guess it was not false advertising! I agree with shopping around a night or two before you actually do it, and also, asking the front desk at your hotel. Perhaps you could email them ahead of time.
What a wonderful gift you have planned for your mother. Enjoy!