Italy Hotel Reviews

Jul 11th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Italy Hotel Reviews

I got lots of help planning our June trip, I'd thought I'd give some feedback:

Florence - Residenza Giotto 130 Euro
Small b+b, right by the duomo. 6 -ish rooms on 4'th/5'th fl. of residential+ commercial building. Very sweet, great shared terrace w/ amazing view of Duomo and Giotto bell tower. Room - nice, very clean. We had a little
balcony. Reception is closed overnight. They were nice and pretty helpful
(spoke English). The only negative, which is a small one, was that the
breakfast wasn't fresh. They had packaged croissants and instant coffee in
rooms for the following morning. I'd definitely recommend this place
though.

Casperia - La Torretta 90 Euro
Highlight of trip. Tiny, stone hill town 45 min north of Rome. Completely
walled in town (no cars) w/ 200 people, NO tourists. This b+b offers
cooking classes. The rooms (about 6) have incredible views of the hills and
there is a nice shared terrace w/ incredible views as well. The rooms are
simple and clean w/ no A.C, only a fan, as the building is over 1000 yrs old. The owners were very friendly (the man is an Italian architect and actually designed the b+b and the woman is originally from Whales, both very sweet and
accommodating). This was one of the most special places I have ever been.

Positano - Villa Rosa 140 Euro
LOVED this place. Perfect location, pretty high up. I think we had room 19. The terraces are huge and beautiful w/ breakfast served there each morning. The view could not have been more gorgeous. The room was quite large and it had a fridge. The bathroom was sweet, with pretty ceramic tiles on wall. I would definitely recommend the same floor as reception is, as the floor below had a bit of an obstruction of the view. The reception was VERY friendly and helpful (spoke perfect English).

Venice - Locanda Ca' Le Vele 230 Euros - only because we splurged and
treated ourselves w/ a balcony. (the regular rooms are still nice and much
more moderately priced). It was so worth it though. The room (actually, I believe it was considered the suite) was massive. Venetian decor, a little fancy and over the top for us; I felt a little princessy, but it was still pretty amazing. The balcony looked over the prettiest side canal. The
owners had a complimentary bottle of wine for us when we arrived. The best
thing about this place was the location. Before going, we went back and forth so many times regarding which area we should stay in and we arrived in Venice, we were beyond relieved. This hotel is in Cannaregio. It's one of the neighborhoods, about a 5 minute walk to Rialto and about 10 min to San Marco. It's about 2 seconds from the main Vaporetto lines. We really couldn't figure out why people would prefer and actually spend more to be near San Marco. That whole area seemed constantly SWARMED w/ tourists, it almost felt like Disney World. The only negative thing about this hotel (b+b) was that on their website it says they have A.C, however it only worked from about 9:00 PM to about 10:00 the following morning. This was
misleading. The owners were sweet and spoke a little English, but really were not very helpful. They didn't seem to know very much about where to eat and what to see. I would definitely recommend this place though.
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:00 PM
hla

Thank you so much for your post on the Locanda Ca La Vele. We have a reservation for there in August, and it's so new, there is not much information on it. I'm a little worried about the limited hours on the a/c. Were you in the room between the hours it was on, and was it uncomfortable? Did you ask the owners if they would consider turning it on for longer hours? When it was on, was it sufficient to cool the room? Was the room quiet? Sorry for all the questions.

I'm glad to hear you liked the area, though. I was planning on asking the owners for restaurant reservations, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again!
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

The room was very quiet over night, but there was actually quite a bit of construction in some of the buildings on the canal, which woke us up a about 8:00AM. Unfortunately, this seemed to be pretty common and probably unpredictable in Venice. The owners acted as though it was impossible to have the A.C running during the day and there was too big of a language barrier to understand why. Because there were a few doors that opened up to the balcony, the room had a bit of a breeze during the day and they had a fanning system. We still were longing for it to be cooler, coming back to the room after having walked all day in the heat. In August, I would imagine it to be much worse. If I were you I would definitely e-mail them and have them confirm its running during the day. I would also put a posting about Venice restaurants and e-mail/call for reservations yourself if that's important to you. We didn't have fabulous meals in Venice, so I don't have one to recommend and I wouldn't count on their help. Again, they are very sweet, however.
Jul 11th, 2003, 03:25 PM
hla

Thank you for your reply. Your post and suggestions were very helpful.
Jul 11th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Do you have a contact number or email for the b&b in Casperia? I t sounds very interesting.
Jul 12th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

The e-mail for La Torretta is [email protected] Her name is Maureen. It is also listed on Karen Brown's website, where you will be linked w/ the hotel's website.
Jul 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Cassidy....thanks for the report. I have a question about La Torretta. We are looking for a place to stay for our final night in Italy before our morning flight home from Rome. I checked the web site for La Torretta and it looks wonderful. You said it is a walled town with no cars. We were planning on dropping off our rental car at the airport in Rome, but could drop it off in Florence instead if we decided to stay at La Torretta. Is it feasible to get transportation from the bed and breakfast to the airport for our 10:30am flight home in the morning?
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

travel 3773 - I don't really know the answer, but why don't you e-mail Maureen at the hotel and ask her: [email protected] We had a car w/ us, but I know that they did take some people to the train station while we were there.