Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Singapore and Lufthansa...good airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are Singapore and Lufthansa good airlines for service, etc.? I know nothing about either of them? Thanks!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:27 PM

Which class ?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:50 PM

I flew Lufthansa and the only class I can afford is cattle (coach). But they offer great service.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM

Don't expecy personal service on Lufthansa but do expect professional service and on time departures!

Singapore Airlines is considered one of the best in the world!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:16 PM

And, at one time, both were considered two of the safest airlines in the world. Singapore's reputation has been somewhat sullied since the crash in 2000, but still considered safe.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM

I flew Raffles class on Singapore Airlines throughout Southeast Asia. They set the standard for all other airlines to aim for. Simply the best.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM

Here are airline rankings:

http://www.airlinequality.com/2004/airline_04_entry.htm

For more information on airline rankings, go to:

http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/ranking.htm
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:23 PM

Singapore Airlines is HEAVEN! You have to fly first class in a Sing Air 777 or 747 at least once in your life. Even the service in coach is good.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:36 PM

I do not think Singapore Airlines are nearly as good as they used to be in Raffles and First. There are others on their day that provide better service. An example would be BA in Club on their flat beds, but I have had bad days on BA across the Atlantic rather than to Asia. Safety is possibly best evaluated based on the airlines record and a knowledge of their training procedures and processes. I think that generally Singapore and Cathay lead the Asian airlines, in service quality to the economy class cabins and I think this is more to do with culture than anything else. I have flown both in all classes of travel. There are relatively new airlines like Emirates that provide very good service in all classes. As another generalisation I think Lufthansa are very professional but it is possible to have excellent inflight service of mediocre service based on crew, route and circumstances at the time. I have similar comments for our national carrier Qantas albeit I am very disappointed with what I perceive to be negative changes to business and operating culture brought upon by management's need to keep shareholders happy in a monopolistic environment. I think thus generally Singapore and Lufthansa are well above average but choose the right time to fly and make sure you have the seat allocations where you want them. One benefit of Lufthansa is their routing into Europe from the USA - I enjoyed the Boston to Munich sector in Business Class a few months ago.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:37 PM

I agree with what you said Steve, and I was basing my statement on knowledge of procedures and training, which is available to the public. After the Singapore crash, deficiences in their training were revealed, especially in flight attendant emergency procedure training. My mistake was the poster wasn't asking about safety, i.e. shelly said "service, etc." So I withdraw my safety comments for this thread.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

That's okay....safety can be included...that is of concern also. I have never flown out of the U.S. except on Virgin, so not familiar with any of these airlines. I don't like flying, so safety, being treated like part of a herd of cattle, cramped quarters, etc. is all of a concern for me. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Singapore is THE BEST with children, bar none.
They ask politely to take my kids from me to play with them when there is some down time for them on the plane. After a few hours entertaining the darlings in the airport I'm about ready for some babysitting myself.
The planes are of high quality, as are other airlines', but it is the magic of people with beautiful personalities and dispositions that makes the difference.

-Craig
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Our best travel experiences with kids were Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and United Airlines in and out of Australia but that is quite a number of years ago.