Silverstone Race in July

Search

Silverstone Race in July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverstone Race in July

My husband just discovered that there's a rally going on at the Silverstone Circuit while we're in London in late July, so we're trying to see if we can make arrangements to spend a day there. Does anyone have any info or experience at this track? It looks like we'll have to take a train from London and then a taxi to the track, as we don't see any buses and we still don't want to rent a car, but we're exploring options.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Assuming you mean the Classic at the end of the month and not the Grand Prix . . .

It is a 3-day event -- if it were me I'd take in at least 2 days of it and stay overnight in a B&B in Syrsham, Brackley, Banbury, near Northampton or nearby.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM

It really isn't practical to get a train and taxi, then spend the day at a race. It's far from cheap (you're not going to get much change from £20-£30 each way for the cab legs alone) and trying to organise pickups at the course to go back will be probably be a nightmare unless you accidentally find a taxi driver interested in motor racing.

The course isn't designed for public transport access, and dedicated buses from Northampton coincide only with the Grand Prix at the beginning of the month.

The place is organised so you can drive to it easily. What on earth is your objection to hiring a car?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM

If you're around 11-13th July you should have a look at the Goodwood Festival of Speed which is easy to get to (train to Chichester then a bus) and will knock Silverstone into a cocked hat.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM

I stopped going to race meetings years ago, but remember there used to be special bus/coach services from central London for the major events.

You might try emailing Silverstone Circuit at the address on this contact page: http://www.silverstone.co.uk/php/ci_overview.html

Or if money is not a problem, try: http://www.classicdreams.co.uk/luxurytransfer.php

I agree, though, hiring a car may be the best option.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

As always, thanks for feedback.
janisj--Already have Globe tickets booked for Sunday so only have Saturday available for race (yes, the Classic, to DH's chagrin--he'd like the Grand Prix experience)
Flanner--DH has a real aversion to considering left-hand driving--but he's rethinking his willingness to rent a car for a short space, like maybe just from Banbury or Northampton to Silverstone.

I did contact Silverstone and, as has been my experience with all contacts in my planning, got good and immediate feedback. There are buses running to Silverstone from Northampton, so public transport (with some walking) is a possibility, at least.

Still curious for feedback about others' experiences with Silverstone Classic races. Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When I lived not that far from Silverstone - the "Classic" as it is now didn't exist. There were frequent veteran car meetings though. It was a kick to pull into the carpark of our fav pub in Brackley Hatch (lamentably later turned into a cheesy chain place) in our Morgan plus4 and rub shoulders w/ all the Bugatti, 3-wheel Morgan, and Aston Martin owners

Can you go up on the Friday, stay over, and attend on Fri & Sat? Once your DH sees all the classic race cars in the paddock, he will definitely want more than an afternoon.