Sightseeing in Paris

Search

Sightseeing in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sightseeing in Paris

We're spending two days in Paris in early June, and staying at the Radisson CDG. Obviously, we'd like to fit in as much as we can within those two days. Any suggestions on how to go about it?
Also, I'd really appreciate any advice i could get on how to move around in Paris; about the transport system, etc.
Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:23 AM

I used the hop-on hop-off bus for a couple of days. I found it convenient to getting to the major sites without a lot of wandering around aimlessly. Later on I did a LOT of wandering around aimlessly and really enjoyed it. You have limited time so this might be a way of utilizing it well. I took the bus the total rout just getting an overview of the city and really enjoyed that and then later got off where I wanted to see something and then picked it up again later. Now, that worked well for me because I don't know Paris well, and find I am horribly direction impaired when I'm not on my own turf and even have a problem with a map. Sorry, I'm dumb, but that's the way it is and I just have to deal with it. Others, like my older brother, are like homing pidgeons..just seem to navigate any place with no trouble at all and I give them full kudos, but I'm just not like that so having some help with navigation seems the best for me.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM

1. At the RER station at CDG, buy a 5-zone <i>Paris Visite</i> card valid for the number of days you will travel into Paris.

2. Ride the RER to Gare du Nord.

3. Read my book: http://tinyurl.com/ovpaw
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:39 AM

I completely agree with the hop-on, ho-off bus. There are two companies to choose from. I chose the first one that came by the nearest stop.

I also did a lot of research and had a list of things I thought I wanted to see and the days they were closed and the hours of operation. That way, I could pick and choose and not worry that I was missing anything. I did about 1/2 of what was on my list - and did a lot of wandering and just enjoying Paris the rest of the time.

We were amazed at how long the days were. We kept on going and going 'cause it never seemed to get dark. We'd be hungry and glance at the watches and it was 8:30pm.

Definitely do the Fat Tire Bike Tour - the night one is a great experience.

Lots of advice on this board about metro and carnet and tickets and the like. We used the 2 day pass on the ho-ho bus and walked mostly. When we wanted to get somewhere fast, we took a taxi. I think it was money well spent. I'd rather ride when by feet are hurting - and SEE more of Paris during the process than go underground. Just my preference.

I'm not a &quot;foodie&quot; and was very pleased with grabbing a meal at a sidewalk cafe rather than making reservations ahead of time somewhere. For me, it's a great trade-off (more money spent here, less money spent there).

Our big splurge was lunch at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower. It was pricey. It was worth it. Of course, the view was incredible. We did call before we left to make those reservations.

Paris is absolutely incredible. Two days is not enough time - but enough to ensure you will fall in love and have to come back! Enjoy!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:50 AM

Have a look at the Fodor's guide to Paris on this site, they have a 3 day itinerary...decide what inrerests you, and we can help taylor it to the time you have available.