gorgeous beach not TOO far from rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My family and I are headed to Rome for a month next week. We'd love to rent a house by the sea for a week, but are not sure where would be best. We'll be travelling with our 2 little kids (4 months and 3 years)and our 80 year-old mother in law. We usually go to Sardegna, but think it might be too much of a trek with this group. My husband is from Rome and I lived in Italy for many years, so we'd like a place that is not touristy and is unbelievably gorgeous, but would prefer not to go TOO far (under 5 hrs). I'd love to go to Sicily, but don't want to take another plane with the kids. Any suggestions where we can go?

Thanks!!

Shanna
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. You're leaving next week and are looking for suggestions NOW to rent a place near a "gorgeous beach near Rome"? Is this cutting it a little close? Mike
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

we'll rent the place from italy. we have a travel agency below my mother-in-law's apt.
i'm just looking for suggestions on areas to go now.

thanks!!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM

What about Sperlonga or maybe Ponza? I thought both places were gorgeous...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM

The beaches near Rome aren't going to be anywhere near as "gorgeous" as the ones on Sardinia. Ponza has a stark beauty to it but I wouldn't describe its small beaches as gorgeous. The Sperlonga area is nice but the downside to the beaches around it is that there are many hotels, both large and small, that are on the beach or across the street and on some days its just row after row of chaise lounges and umbrellas. There is of course the Amalifi coast, with its small, pebbly beaches. At least the scenery there is gorgeous. Another option might be the area around Maratea. Very attractive small beaches set into coves. Similar beaches, with grottoes and faraglioni, can be found on the Gargano Peninsula. We stayed at Baia delle Zagare a few years ago and thought the beach there was lovely. The Tremiti islands are another possibility but I would try and book as soon as you can because even if it isn't high season right now for Italian vacationers, it is for Germans and Scandanavians and the Gargano and Tremiti are very popular with them.