*sigh* car rental questions *sigh*

Aug 27th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

*sigh* car rental questions *sigh*

After all the help offered on the GPS, I'm going to dip into the well again.

I've spent tons of time on this, as has husband, and it's about as clear as mud.

First off, I reserved with Hertz and got a price of E258.53 for 13 days. That includes CDW, but CLEARLY states on all Hertz sites that I've been on, that Super Cover is NOT included in the quote, but is paid at the desk at a rate of 98/week and 14/day, for a grand total of 440E. I've been on every Hertz site I can find, both .ie and .com and they all are clear about when SC is paid. Please don't tell me that you got a quote with it included, because that's not what I've found online or when I spoke to two different agents at two different times.

Then I thought I'd look into Dooley.

http://www.dan-dooley.ie/car-rental-...in-airport.htm which quotes both E443 and E474

or

http://www.dan-dooley.ie/ with a quote of E413

Both of these Dooley quotes include CDI insurance and Excess waiver selected.

Obviously, the second Dooley quote is the best all around, but for the life of me, I can't understand why I got three quotes from the same company within about two minutes of each other.

If anyone can clarify this, I would really be grateful.

I really don't want any surprises when we get to the desk.

Any help or thoughts on this would be very much appreciated. (I know this whole topic has pretty much been done to death - for good reason!!!)

Thanks.
Aug 27th, 2012, 05:59 AM

You need to get email quotes which detail ALL charges payable. This being the price you will pay at the desk when you collect your car not just the payment you make online. You also need the Fuel policy, some charge full to full or empty to empty others charge a full tank and expect you to take back empty.

When comparing quotes you need a level playing field.

you can sometimes get a better deal with Dooley using there US office. not sure if the "dochara" discount code still works?
Aug 27th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Aug 27th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Tony has the right idea.

I'll just add that we rented from Dan Dooley on 2 trips to Ireland with complete satisfaction. We took all the insurance we could get. Upon return they hardly looked at the car and 1 time one of the side view mirrors was damaged. No charges to us whatsoever. Here's the site we used in NJ.

http://www.dandooley.com/Contact-Us/

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.
Aug 27th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Tony - thanks so much for that information - using dochara got me a 5% discount - down to E392 - happy days!

Tpayt, thanks also - I'm thinking we'll use Dan Dooley.

Cheers.
Aug 28th, 2012, 09:34 AM

sugarmaple, I don't want to confuse the issue but CDW in Ireland is a morass of potential problems. American Express, Visa, and ordinary Master Cards will NOT cover your rentals there. World Class Master Card will. The difference in my case for a 25 day rental was over US$400 savings by using the World Class Master Card. If you have one, great. If not, you can probably get one free quickly.

In any case, if you have not called AutoEurope yet to discuss your needs you might consider doing so. In my many years of renting in Europe I have never had anyone quote me lower prices on a like-for-like rental. We're using them on this upcoming trip as well. 1-800-223-5555.