Siena restaurant

Search

Siena restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siena restaurant

I've been to Siena maybe three or four times on day trips while in Tuscany, but have never found a really good restaurant. Since we're going to Tuscany again next June, can anyone give me the names of some good lunch restaurants? We are not foodies, but really like good food.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:10 PM

When Fred Plotkin wrote his exhaustive "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler," he commented that he'd never really had a good meal in Siena either.

This might help you out:

http://www.whitings-writings.com/Travel/siena02.htm
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM

It's been awhile since I've been to Siena, but Il Rialto was a good place, and had good seafood. It's not a restaurant, but as a lover of tea in a coffee drinking country, I really enjoyed the Tea Room as well (Porta Giustizia, 11). Il Grattacielo is usually full of locals too and reasonably priced (Via Pontani 8). In fact, I was able to find the addresses here: http://www.aboutsiena.com/restaurants-in-Siena.html

And that looks like a nice list to check out....I know I already approve of at least a couple on it!
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM

The other SlowFood pick in Siena (as of 2006, the last edition available free online) is

Grotta di santa caterina da bagoga
Via della Galluzza, 26
Closed Sunday evening and Monday
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Betty...had fine meals at reasonable prices at La Tellina (about two blocks from the bell tower (on the other side of the piazza). Here's their web page. Like my uncle's Italian neighbor used to say...<i>"mangia, mangia...eat and no die"!</i>

stu tower

www.trattorialatellina.com/
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM

P.S. I remember you asked about driving age limits in Italy in another thread, which I answered. We returned a month ago from France, Switzerland and Italy. I rented from Avis in both France and Italy...and as I said, no questions asked when reserving....and now that I'm back, I can tell you that there were no questions or raised eyebrows when I showed up at the agencies in person. Go for it, young lady!!

stu
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Antica Osteria da Divo
La Taverna di San Giuseppe

Both were excellent for dinner. Don't know if they are open for lunch. Google them for web sites.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, I will make a list of these and check them out.

Stu: Thanks for your reassurance on the driving age, that makes me feel a lot better. Where did you rent in Italy, and do you have any info. on drop off charges?
Also are car rentals cheaper in Switzerland than Italy, do you know?

I'm still planning for next June, and had taken a bit of a hiatus, but now have to decide where we'll go between Zurich and the Val d'Orcia for 10 days. The planning and research is even fun.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have eaten a couple of excellent meals at La Taverna di San Giuseppe, but I did consider them treats as the restaurant is more expensive than I would normally choose.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Taconic:

I rented in the town of Asti in Piemonte and returned to Malpensa..no drop off charge. There seemed to be a charge of €30 because I was dropping at an airport and had picked up at a RR station...but I got Avis to waive it before I left home.

I did not drive in Switzerland, only France and Italy. I France I rented and returned to Dijon.

Stu
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Trattoria Papei Piazza del Mercato,6 behind the Piazza del Campo. The family I lived with in Siena as a college student took us there-it's a favorite of the locals. My friends were in Siena for a week in October and ate there more than once. They loved it. Very good food and not expensive.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

carolw: many thanks. I'll put that one on the list for sure.