siena map help?

Jul 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

siena map help?

I've been trying to figure out how far avis car rental in siena is from the train and bus, so i know which to take from florence. Must be doing something wrong cause I can't figure it out on mappy.com. anyone know? or anyone know the address to put in for the train station in siena? thanks so much.
Jul 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Do you have the address for Avis?
Jul 11th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Hi Astur - Yellow pages is usually helpful for this kind of question (- distance/ directions.

It says Avis (Via Martini Simone 36) is 1.2 km from the railway station

http://www.paginegialle.it/pg/cgi/ma...=0&cs=27344710

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jul 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM

The last place you want to drive a car is WITHIN Siena. I presume you know that, but it always bears repeating to those who have not walked Siena's narrow and twisting streets.
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I guess we can find a cab from train. Think that will be closer to car rental office than the bus station.
many, many thanks
Jul 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
RJD

Driving in Siena is one thing. I've done it a few times. Until I got a good map, one I bought at a gas station, I drove by the same spot three times. After that things were generally OK. Parking in Siena is another matter. After about 10 am parking anywhere near downntown is tough. My favorite place to park is the Fortezza and I had trouble there mid morning during the week. I can't imagine the problems on the weekend.
Jul 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM

astur,
Actually I think the bus station is closer but not by much. Buses drop you off at Piazza Gramsci. It really matters little. All the auto rentals (Hertz, Avis, Eurocar) are too far to walk wth luggage but are under 10 euro cab fare from the bus or train station.

Henry
Jul 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Just a note, the 2 times my husband and I have arrived at the Siena train station and thought about taking a cab into Siena, cabs would never be there. Several people would always be waiting, but after waiting 15-20 minutes and no cab shows up, we took the bus both times and it worked at fine. One bus goes further into the city than the other one, so if you take the bus you might try to figure out which one goes into the city.
Jul 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM

billruth,
If you have a cell phone next time in Siena the taxi number is 0577 49222 or you can go in the station bar and call.

Henry