Siena - feedback hotels - Chiusarelli and Residenza d'Epoca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I have some feedback from recent visitors to Siena about the Hotel Chiusarelli, via Curtatone. Some previous comments on sites have said the staff were not very helpful - did you find this to be the case? Also interested to have some understanding about the position in the city - traffic in the street??? noise level ??? Proximity to public transport - we will be arriving from Florence by bus and proximity to the sights.
Also same questions about Residenza d'Epoca in via Banchi di Sopra (althought have not seen poor comments about their staff). This seems to be more like a B & B. Need practical hints - was the lift working?? are there many stairs to negotiate??? Residenza d'Epoca would appear to be inside the walls of the city - will we get there easily with our suitcases?? This is my first visit overseas and am travelling with teenage daughter, so we are looking for (relative) ease of access, feeling safe in the accommodation and being near to shops / tourist sights etc - we are going to be relying on public transport to get around. We will be having 4 nights in Siena, so I would like our accommodation to be clean, friendly staff as we will probably having a million questions, close to transport so we can do some day tours, near eating places for our evening meal, and for us to experience some local customs etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM

I've stayed at the Chiusarelli twice, the last time being in 2000. It is probably the closest you can get to the piazza where the buses arrive/depart from in the old city. The rooms I've had, and others that I've seen there, are actually quite large by European standards. There was a surly clerk at the desk the last time I was there, and there were other complaints reported here about probably the same guy around that time. However, the woman (manager? owner?) behind the desk the next morning couldn't have been nicer, and took care of the problem I had with my room immediately. With the exception of that one guy, I have found the staff there to be friendly and helpful. But, as I said, I haven't stayed there in six years, and staffs change, either for better or for worse. Impossible to tell.

I will be staying at the Residenza on my upcoming trip. It is located closer to the campo than the Chiusarelli, which is no big deal since the whole city is quite walkable. I just wanted to try a different place. The rooms look lovely on their website, and the staff has been quite attentive in my emails. I'll be happy to report back upon my return.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Hello Holly,
thank you for your reply and the offer to report after your next visit to Siena. If you have the opportunity I would love to hear what you do on your stay and the places you visit. I have now made a decision to stay at the Residenza d'Epoca (- as you said the replies to emails were very attentive). The travel agent that I am using in Sydney has stayed in Siena for one month to attend the university, and while she could not remember that particular B & B, she was familiar with the area of the city, and said we would find it very central to everything. I am so looking forward to our holidays, the next 7 months can't go quickly enough for us.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Well, enjoy the planning. I'm outa here TOMORROW !
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I have not stayed at either of these hotels (although had friends stay at the Chiusarelli.) I took a look at the Residenza d'Epoca site and my only hesitation would be wondering if they have air conditioning. I'm not sure when you were planning on going, but if you're there during the summer, you'll want A/C.