Reload this Page >

side trip Versalles or Monte-Saint-Michel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Linda

Hi, I am planning my first trip to Paris (5 days) and was thinking of selecting one side trip (probably through Paris Vision?).<BR><BR>If you had your choice would you visit Versalles or Monte-Saint-Michel and why?<BR><BR>Thanks much for the help!!<BR>-Linda

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:48 PM
sandy c

hi linda,<BR><BR>I envy you, paris for the 1st time! both side trips would be wonderful, but you only have 5 days. <BR><BR>If you have never been before I would recommend going to versaille early in the morning and making a 1/2 day of it. With only 5 days in paris you will have a lot to do just in those 5 days. i have been 3 times now and still havent' done it all yet. <BR><BR>versalles is manageable in those 5 days leaving a good part of a day open to do some more in paris. <BR><BR>mont st michel is easily a full day trip and in some cases would be considered an overnighter. <BR><BR>either way, good luck and enjoy!<BR>

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:17 PM
judie

I agree. Mont St. Michel is beautiful,but you need to savor the whole area when you go. Versailles is<BR>easy access from Paris, via train.Don't <BR>go Paris Vision .Too much $. Easy walk to palace from train station. About 5<BR>blocks. Do the basic tour. Get there in<BR>the morning. Tour buses arrive around noon and can get very crowded.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:36 AM
sandra

In that short a time I would chose versailles over mont st michel. I would also go to versailles on the weekend to see the dancing waters. this when they turn on the fountains and play lovely music , take the tram ride around the property. I would avoid Paris Vision as they are expensive and not as good as Cityrama. Yes cityrama is a big bus but the guides are excellent and while on the way to the palace they play the history of it on tv's on the bus. Also this is only a half day trip.<BR> I would also recommend that you take a general tour of Paris the first day you get there it gives youa general idea of where everything is, and let's you see all the sights . Cityrama also offers this tour I think it is about 24 euros. Your hotel can get you all the info they usually have the brochures in the hotel lobby's. They offer a trip to st michel, where you leave at about 7am and don;t return to paris until 10pm. Cityrama is also easily located across the street from the louvre.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:00 AM
greg

Linda,<BR>I have a different bent on this. I do not assume that everyone has chance to visit Paris for longer time in the future. Do you think you have opportunities to visit Paris for longer time in the future? If this is the only trip you ever make, which would you have regretted less, not having gone to Mont Saint-Michel or Versaille?<BR><BR>Day trip to Mont Saint-Michel is a long day trip while a trip to Versaille is a short one day trip, I would say .5 day trip is hard if you want to see the main fountain show which starts late in the afternoon on Sundays only until summer when it also takes place on Saturdays.<BR><BR>I found it much easier to sneak in a trip to Versaille later within a short trip to Paris than a trip to Mont Saint-Michel.<BR><BR>Both places, if done as a day trip, is a zoo. So no advantage from crowd point of view.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Betty

I was also planning to take Paris Vision to Versalles (and Giverney), but now I am having second thoughts. If we take the train to Versalles on our own, what about Giverney? What is your thoughts on this?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Amy

Linda, I did the day trip to Mont St. Michel a few years back on my third trip to Paris. For a first time trip, I think I would go to Versailles, but if you do, go on your own. It is very easy to get the train there and then rent the audio guide and see it for yourself. Cheaper I would imagine too. That way, you can see Paris, determine if you really want to spend a half day going to Versailles (I didn't see Versailles until the second time I went) and do it when you want to as opposed to being stuck on a tour's schedule.<BR><BR>I agree with the other posters who say it's hard to compare the two. The trip to Mont St. Michel is looooong. Bring a book or some entertainment because you don't stop anywhere along the way, and there's not a lot to see, although you see names of a lot of places you wish you could stop at (Rouen, Normandy). For the amount of time you are actually at Mont St. Michel, I didn't feel the loss of the entire day (we got back to Paris around 8 p.m.) was worth it. We were only there for about 3 hours but in transit for somewhere around 8 or 9 hours.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:26 AM
elvira

You CAN do Versailles and Giverny in the same day, if you have transportation (we hired a limo to haul 8 girls to both places). ParisVision has a tour for that same itinerary.<BR><BR>You cannot do both if you're depending upon trains - the connections are horrible.<BR><BR>Don't do Mont St Michel - as someone pointed out, the time travelling is inversely proportionate to time spent at the sight...not advisable on a day trip. If you really want to see Mont St Michel, plan to stay overnight (leave Paris via train to arrive at the mont around 9pm, stay over, see the Mont the next day and take a train back).

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Betty

Did you enjoy the Versalles and Giverney tour?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Drew

We'll be in Paris next Friday, and are booked on Paris Vision to do a 4 our Versailles and Fountains tour on the bus. I figure if we're loving the fountains, we can stay later and catch the train back into town. I thought the grey line site looked bad - not much info on their tours. <BR><BR>Hopefully I post a trip report around 5/3.<BR><BR>Au Revoir!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Betty

Drew, I would really love to hear what you have to say about this trip; because I was planning on taking it in Sept. Please e-mail me when you return. Thanks!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Linda

Thanks to everyone, as usual, you guys are great. Versalles it is!! I will save Mont-Saint Michel for next time. <BR><BR>Drew - I will also be arriving in Paris next Friday. Maybe I will see you at Versalles!!!<BR><BR>Thanks again all!!<BR>-Linda