Day trip from Paris to Mont St-Michel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to take a day trip to Mt<BR>St-Michel? Train, bus, or rent a car?<BR>We will be in Paris 4/10-15/ and time is of<BR>the essence to do as much as possible in 5 days. The rest of the time will be spent in the city taking in the sights. Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Mont-Saint-Michel is a l-o-o-o-ng day trip. You may wish to take a bus tour. I recall both Paris Vision and Cityrama conduct them, departing from the Louvre area.<BR>We've done M-S-M. I'd consider it a low priority if you've never visited Paris. Much more in Paris I'd rather see and do.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:24 AM

five days in paris is like an appetizer particularly if you've not been before. you can barely scratch the surface of the city in that time.<BR><BR>but if you absolutely need to make a day trip try versailles.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:31 AM

Maybe traveling &quot;absolutely need to make a day trip&quot; to Le Mont-St-Michel.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:07 AM

It's a long ride. If it's your first time in Paris, I'd suggest to stay in the city. You need more than a week to explore &amp; enjoy, why kill yourself? I did Mont St-Michel with a car and stayed one night on the road, visited Monet garden and the beautiful coast on the way. It was a rush on the highway all the way back, so many 2 nights on the road would be better.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Normally I would say do what you want. Its long but that may not bother you. This time though I would strongly urge to re-consider Mt. St. Michel. 8 hours on a train in one day? or 6-7 on a bus? See it one day. I did on my 4th trip to France. I was always enchanted with that poster that shows it off in the distance with the tide out? I was disappointed because the reality is that is one HUGE crowd! Best to see this place at night from a distance and to tour the abby early in the morning. Both hard to do in a day trip.Easy day trips with wonderful sights? Versailles, Chartres, (30 minutes)Reims,(90) Roeun(90)Giverny (2 hours).
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Although I know someone who has done the daytrip (it actually was a one-night trip which I still thought was too short), I can't imagine it. Paris has SO much to see. There are other interesting daytrips from Paris that are much closer if you MUST &quot;Get out of town&quot; (To name a few: Versailles, Monet's Gardens, Auvers-sur-Oise, Fountainebleu, Chantilly, Tours and even the Loire Valley is closer although I wouldn't go there even). I did Mt. St-Michel on a week long circuit of Brittany by car. It was lovely and spectacular, but way out in the countryside. As we approached by car across the very flat salt plains Mt. St-Michel starts out as a tiny speck on the horizon and slowly and dramatically rises until you get to the foot of it. I think the way to see it befitting to its setting is in a leisurely way and not a blitz. If you want a change of &quot;City&quot; atmosphere within the city itself, you can enjoy one of its many parks, residential areas or even Pere Lachaise cemetary! Parc Buttes-Chaumont feels like you are out in the country. I rememeber lazing on the hillside lawn with all the other Parisians and their kids &amp; dogs.....dreamy and very atmospheric.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Le Mont-St-Michel, while one of the great sites of France, is not the be-all, end-all of French tourist sites. If you have only one day, I'd forget it - it's just too far, and there are SO many other things you could visit that are equally significant in French history. You could go to Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Giverny, Chantilly, Senslis, Fontainebleau, Auvers-sur-Oise, just to name a few, without the arduous journey that le Mont St-Michel would require.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied with your wonderful and very sensible advise.<BR>The only reason we are going to Mont Saint Michel is because this trip to Paris is our graduation (college) gift to our daughter and she has a strong desire to see it (MSM). Perhaps she will reconsider the arduous journey to MSM after she reads these posts. Paris itself has so much to offer and we know that 5 days is simply not enough. Already planning our future trip to France and it will be no less than 14 days!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:55 PM

Great traveler's lesson to teach your daughter: not cramming in every possible thing you desire to do is a good thing. Yuu will be able to enjoy what you do better, and have something to look forward on a return trip. I've been to Paris 8 times, and I'm still not tired of it, and there are things on my &quot;To-do&quot; list that I still haven't done (I'm getting darn close!). Have fun!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:43 AM

McBetsy, you didn't like the crowd at Mont-Saint-Michel, but were you there in early April?<BR><BR> Keith