Side Trip from Prague?

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Trip from Prague?

Hi--

A group of my friends and I will be in Prague in Mid-march, and were wanting to take a side trip before we have to come home back to the states. It looks like we'd have from Thurs. afternoon until Sat. night to make the trip. Any advice on where to go? None of us have been to this part of the world before, and so we'd like to go the best place that is not too expensive (hopefully not too much more than prague). Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Are places like Berlin, Vienna, Bratislava, or Krakow too far for this amount of time (2 days, including travel)?

Many people have told me to try Cesky Krumlov, but from what I understand the Castle will not be open during March, and so I'm wondering if it is worth the visit.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM
tmh

While I would have recommended Cesky Krumlov, I din't know that about the Castle. It still might be worth it depending on your interests.

What about Dresden? Closer than the other cities and a worthwhile place from many different aspects (history, art, evening activites, etc)
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM

One option might be Karlovy Vera, a famous spa town about two hours drive from Prague near the German border.

We found the architecture fascinating, the food wonderful, the people very friendly and the drive easy and scenic. We didn't stay overnight but there seemed to be a variety of hotels, from the opulent (Grandhotel Pupp) to more modest B&Bs.

From there you could also make a side trip into Regensberg, Germany, another fascinating, historic town.

Have fun - you will love the Czech Republic!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I would not go to Cesky Krumlov if the castle is closed. Krakow is too far away for a two-day trip from Prague. It would take the entire time to go to/from by train.

For major cities, I think Dresden and then Vienna are the best bets.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Another vote for Dresden. It is only 2 1/2 hours from Prague and a true gem of a baroque city. Karlovy Vary is 4 hours from Prague, Vienna 4 1/2, and Berlin 4 3/4, while Krakow is about an 8 hour trip. Dresden is one of the few cities in Europe that I make it a point to return to every few years.