Sicily's Aeolian Islands - Stromboli etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What experiences have people had on any of these islands? Which one to go to and why? Lipari, Stromboli or Santa Marina Salina? I know you get there by ferry, how to get around and any hints for places to stay on any of these? Am keen to visit there in April, thanks.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've spent a few days on Lipari (and a few hours on Volcano) a couple of years ago. They are quite scenic, and in April should be fairly quiet. As you already know, transport between the islands in via ferry/hydrafoil.

We never got as far as Stromboli. There were daytrips, but they tended to leave Lipari in the morning and arrive back very late. A colleague who made the trip and climbed the volcano at night did rave about the trip.

One of the things I really enjoyed was hiring a scooter and riding around Lipar. The whole circumnavigation takes less than an hour, but the views are superb.

There are some photos at the site below - they cover all of My Sicily trip for 2011 , but the Aeolian Islands pictures start from the Screaming Seagul picture (Number 40) up to the shot of the Geco Bar (88)

https://plus.google.com/photos/11343...CKaYt4bX9qeQPw
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM

I've spent three months on Lipari and two on Salina.

April is low season and you will find few tourists. Lipari is by far the liveliest island and has more facilities in the quieter months.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 02:21 PM

I adore the Aeolian Islands--they are some of my favorite places in the world. My husband and I have been three times, for 1, 2, and 3 weeks at a time, and will likely go again before too long. We've only visited in May and September, however--never in April. As mentioned by others, April will be very quiet in terms of tourism, and transportation options between islands will likely be somewhat limited. But I encourage you to go!

Here are links to my trip reports from our two May trips, which may be helpful.

http://aprilaroundtheworld.blogspot....1_archive.html

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...h-in-italy.cfm

And here's a link to my blog postings from our September visit, when we stopped in the islands for a couple of weeks on our trip around the world (postings from Sept. 5-21; includes some pictures).

http://aprilaroundtheworld.blogspot....1_archive.html

In April I would base in Lipari, as mjdh suggests. Though I'd say Salina (larger, more varied) and Panarea (smallest, very charming) are my favorite islands, Lipari is fine, and you are more likely to be able to connect to day trips to the other islands from Lipari. Stromboli is also fun, with its main focus being the volcano climb (you will be able to arrange that from Lipari unless the guided trips aren't running that early).

Both Lipari and Salina have public buses that enable you to get around each island cheaply; you can also rent a motorbike, as Willit did. On Salina we rented a jeep for a day and a motorbike for another day, but mostly made do with the buses, which are frequent enough. If you choose Salina as a place to stay, Santa Marina will be your best bet for lodging, though you should go to Pollara, Rinella, and Malfa for sure.

There are varied lodgings on the islands, from B&Bs up to more luxurious hotels, but many may not be open in April. We were satisfied with our two stays at Diana Brown's B&B on Lipari (simple, clean, reasonably priced, very conveniently located in Lipari town); on Salina and Panarea we rented wonderful small villas via VRBO and HomeAway.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 02:23 PM

Oops, I erroneously included two links to the same thing. Here's the other link I wanted to give you, from our second May visit:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...an-islands.cfm
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 03:55 PM

Click on my name to see my Sicily trip report from last Apr-May.

Istayed at a beautiful vrbo villa on Lipari tn at I would reco if you are interested.

Loved the islands!
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 04:49 PM
kja

A good guidebook should cover the transportation options.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Oh thanks everyone, this is great, I'll sit down later and study it all. Most obliged
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Since you are interested in hiking, you will enjoy climbing the Gran Cratere on Vulcano, which is a short boat ride from Lipari. Unlike Stromboli, the crater on Vulcano does not require a guide.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM

We stayed in Panarea for a few days and loved it so much that we are returning this summer. However, i'm not sure how quiet it will be in April. Maybe one of the bigger islands would be better.
Click on my name if you want to read about Panarea in my Sicily trip report.