Sicily with Italians

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Sicily with Italians

Hello everyone
So for a week at the end of August I am going with my boyfriend and his two friends to Sicily. Specifically, the friends have a house on the beach in Marsala. Now my plan is to basically go along for anything they propose and just go with the flow but my question is is there anything I should really insist on going to see and/or do? I'm very excited for all this and feel lucky to be with locals but I don't want to miss out on anything. Oh and we will have a car.
Thanks for all your help
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Why don't you get a good guidebook and read up on the "must sees" and the culture and make a short list. Come back here with specific questions. You should have an idea of where you are going and what you might see before you go anyway...
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. This is what they do every summer and as such what I've understand is that it will be a normal beach vacation. Go in the morning go shopping for things to cook for dinner etc. The only touring we would be doing would be things I suggest or they decide I have to see which knowing them will be when they wake up in the morning. I have read the really great trip reports here and some guide books. Based on the home base of Marsala and not spending a night somewhere else except for possibly an apartment we have access to in Palermo what are the not misses in the opinion of those who have gone which I find much more useful than guide books. thanks
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM

"must sees" depend very much on personal taste.
For me, they were (in no particular order):
Selinunte (Ruined greek temple complex)
Segeste (Greek Theatre and temple)
Monreale cathedral

All these are reasonably reachable form Marsala.

Other parts of Sicily are possibly a little far for daytrips:

Agrigento (Greek temple complex)
Piazza Armerinia (probably the best Roman mosaics in the world)
Taormina
Siracusa
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Do not miss Selinute which is not far from Marsala---best Greek temples in Sicily.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM

And as Willit recommends above, do not miss Monreale - a unique cathedral with Arab, Norman and Byzantine influence. The mosaics here are incredibly interesting and the various styles of architecture reperesentative of only a few of the cultures that influenced Sicily.
While I love a nice beach vacation, the attractions of Sicily are numerous, varied and splendid. See as much as you can and eat well (that part isn't difficult).